Repellant Glass?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Catharine Newell

Repellant Glass?

Post by Catharine Newell »

Opened my kiln to an odd thing yesterday.... A beautifully fused 35x12x1/4" panel layer except for one spot where the cut and ground edges had repelled one another and left a hole similar to a split seam - all the way through to the shelf - about 1/2" long and 1/4" wide.

All other seams fused perfectly. This is a figurative panel, so cuts were organic and complex. The bottom layer was less complex than the top, but all its fitted edges were replicated on the top layer to allow air to escape.

BE transparents, cut, ground and extremely well cleaned; first fuse; no evidence of a bubble - it simply looked as tho the edges repelled each other at that point... and at that point only.

This has been repaired, but I'm wondering just what occured to make this happen. Any ideas?

Catharine
Catharine Newell

Repellant Glass... PS

I forgot to mention that I had positioned intermittent dams around the panel to insure that pieces wouldn't float away from center...

Catharine
Cindy next door

Post by Cindy next door »

I've had that happen a number of times. I don't know the technical reason of why it happens.

I seem to have eliminated the problem by making a rim with a strip of fiber paper and damming. I learned that in Doug and Jack's class.

In smaller pieces the fiber paper holds it enough and I just dam the joints of fiber paper.

In my 2" pieces made up of 1" squares, I don't rim at all.

Sometimes I do have to hold a little longer than expected to make sure a joint closes.
Cindy next door
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: Repellant Glass?

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Catharine Newell wrote:Opened my kiln to an odd thing yesterday.... A beautifully fused 35x12x1/4" panel layer except for one spot where the cut and ground edges had repelled one another and left a hole similar to a split seam - all the way through to the shelf - about 1/2" long and 1/4" wide.

All other seams fused perfectly. This is a figurative panel, so cuts were organic and complex. The bottom layer was less complex than the top, but all its fitted edges were replicated on the top layer to allow air to escape.

BE transparents, cut, ground and extremely well cleaned; first fuse; no evidence of a bubble - it simply looked as tho the edges repelled each other at that point... and at that point only.

This has been repaired, but I'm wondering just what occured to make this happen. Any ideas?

Catharine
My guess is surface tension pulling the glass appaert B4 they R 'wet'

Try this technology

Liqui Fulx

Just paint the joint with flux

If on a kiln shelf just paint the top 1/2 of the joint or so
Catharine Newell

Thanks, Brian, perhaps I'll give flux a try... As I posted, I did place dams at crucial points around the perimeter of the piece, but this "tear" was at an interior cut. Any thoughts as to why it occured in one place and not in millions of others? There was nothing different at all about the conditions at this weird site. I hesitate to cover all my seams with flux....

Catharine
Lani McGregor

Post by Lani McGregor »

Good morning, Catharine!

You say that the piece was 1/4â€
Catharine Newell

Ahhhh.... here we go, Lani. That makes perfect sense to me. One side of this problematic seam was 1101-30 over 1101-30; the other side was 1414 over 0137. I guess I've just been lucky before this! Thanks for the explanation.

Been hearing from Esteban - the globe trotting roll-up maestro sounds like he's having a terrific time even though he's severely linguistically challenged. Ah, to be in Spain. Great wine, wonderful architecture, that divine food, fabulous museums... Not that I've actually seen any of this myself... Can't wait to hear about his adventures next week!

Catharine
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Catharine Newell wrote:Thanks, Brian, perhaps I'll give flux a try... As I posted, I did place dams at crucial points around the perimeter of the piece, but this "tear" was at an interior cut. Any thoughts as to why it occured in one place and not in millions of others? There was nothing different at all about the conditions at this weird site. I hesitate to cover all my seams with flux....

Catharine
U got a lot of seams ??

I think from whot Lovely Lani said ur working on the edge

This is where I live

U can have a lot of fun there

But U gotta pay the price occasionaly

Try measuring the seams where thin put the flux

if poss add a bit of glass on the seams

Sounds like U need some specific Cheetin Technology

U gotta pic of the kind of set up

I will put the global labs on it right away
Catharine Newell

Whoo HOO! Global labs at my disposal, Brian? Cool. Makes me seriously think of moving to Shanklin.... I would labor in your asparagus fields, muck out your pond and do your marketing for access to ur cheetin technology.

When I next cut new panel layers, I will post photos prior to fusing. I'm anxiously anticipating what you will have to say.

UR most generous.
Catharine