What do you do the day before a show?

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Geri Comstock

What do you do the day before a show?

Post by Geri Comstock »

Off-board I've discussed this topic with different folks in different media about what they do the day before a show setup.

Now I'm curious to hear what you all do to prepare yourself the day before a show...

I do as little as possible, try to relax and definitely don't do any work. If it's not done 2 days before a show, it's not going to the show.

What do you do?
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

i get up really early. go over all my stuff. add about 75 lbs of stuff that i will not use. pack my truck. get in my boat. go fishing. rosanna
dee

Re: What do you do the day before a show?

Post by dee »

Geri Comstock wrote:Off-board I've discussed this topic with different folks in different media about what they do the day before a show setup.

Now I'm curious to hear what you all do to prepare yourself the day before a show...

I do as little as possible, try to relax and definitely don't do any work. If it's not done 2 days before a show, it's not going to the show.

What do you do?
LOL geri - i need to adopt that attitude, i'm usually finishing up last minute stuff i'm convinced i need to bring, getting $$ for the cash box as i hate to get that out of the bank any sooner than i have to and pack new inventory, set up new jewelry pieces ahead of time ;P

D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Marty

Post by Marty »

Trying to figure out how to get that last killer piece that I NEED for the show out of the kiln while it's still too hot to handle, never mind cold-work.

Or, planning a curcuitous route to the show to hit several galleries and borrow back those killer pieces that I NEED for the show because I've convinced myself that I just don't have the right inventory.
Gale aka artistefem

Post by Gale aka artistefem »

Right up to the wire Geri.

Wouldn't know how to function without the pressure cooker environment. Some of my best work is pulled out & resolved in the last hours. Something in my creative regions slips into gear, I visually/mentally engage and the crunch work time makes it happen.

Because I work like this, there's also an edgy excited energy that accompanies me into the sales arena and helps make the sales.

I save the relaxation for after the show when I need it. Usually takes a couple of days to recover.
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

Well yesterday I went shopping. Today I am going to do some gardening then go light the show. Tee Hee

Amy
Bert Weiss

Re: What do you do the day before a show?

Post by Bert Weiss »

Geri Comstock wrote:Off-board I've discussed this topic with different folks in different media about what they do the day before a show setup.

What do you do?
I keep all of my show stuff in a friend's barn. That way, I am less likely to forget some components. I will be shuffling new glass pieces over there in the preceeding days. The day before, I rent a truck and pack it. The big deal is, does it get packed in the middle of the day or at night. Soon I will have my own truck, which will change the routine.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Jerry Cave

Post by Jerry Cave »

I'm with Geri. I'll do some lite packing and double checking. That's about it. Figure if I'm not ready with inventory a few days ahead, I'll never be.

Show starts tomorrow in fact. Tualatin Art Splash. I'm playing golf tonight after work. Then get home and complete inventory paperwork for the show tomorrow. Three days of showing is easier being rested a bit.

Do I have the inventory I'd like? Nope. More than plenty though, probably 50 pieces excluding ear rings.