First Time Art Fair, Looking For Tips

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Randy W

Post by Randy W »

Thanks to everyone for taking time to write and for all the helpful advice. I'm sure we'll forget something, but it's a local art fair and only a few miles from home so if something is desperatly needed it won't be a problem to get it.
Sometime this week I plan on doing a pre show set up by marking off a 10' X 12' area then setting up the tables and arrranging the glass. Then taking a picture for reference.

Thanks again, all you help is greatly appreciated. =D>

Randy
Marty

Post by Marty »

If you can get electricity......
I was at a summer outdoor show once, had my cooler with gin, tonic, and limes. Was mixing one and heard what sounded like a blender behind me. Poked my head through the curtain separating the back-to-back booths and was offered a strawberry daquiri.
I'm told that watching TV in the booth is considered rude.

Seriously, I would add Bruce Baker's tape to the list. I feel a little foolish everytime I play it on the way to a show, but it does help me with the retail selling thing.
Peg

Post by Peg »

I'd add a camera to the list. Pictures will remind you next time of what went right and what went wrong.
kelly alge

Post by kelly alge »

One thing I have (and love) for shows are my foam puzzle squares on the floor. They come in 2x2 squares that interlock- (I got them for $8.97 for a pack of 4 at Home Depot). They add a little cushion to protect your stuff a little if it falls on concrete, and people like standing on them after a day of walking around. They also work great as an ant barrier, (learned about setting up on an ant hill the hard way- ants, ants, everywhere, ants in my cash register, ants in my hair). Also, if you happen to get a lot of rain, your canopy floor can turn into a small stream- the puzzle blocks keep the water flowing to the outside of your space.

If you ever decide to do an indoor show, you can put a piece of carpet over them to make them pretty.

Good luck! Have fun!
kelly alge

"An ordinary life is a crime" -eric schmider