NY sightseeing

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Stuart Clayman

NY sightseeing

Post by Stuart Clayman »

I will be coming up to NY in August. I will be spending a weekend in the city and then going to Montecello, NY. I live in Virginia and the only thing I know about Montecello it is not in Charlottsville and Thomas Jefferson did not live there. So, any suggestions of things to see and do would be appreciated. I will be taking a 2 day side trip to Corning and always open for suggestions of other day trips.. Looking for glass sites/Studio and other places to see that would be ashame to miss if I did.

So, any help for this fish (rebel) out of water would be helpful.

Stuart
Ron Bell

Post by Ron Bell »

The Heller Gallery is an outstanding visit! If I remember right they are on 14th street. There is a gallery in Englewood, just across the river that is also very good. While in NYC try "Wo Hop's" on Mott street for the worlds greatest Won Ton Soup!! Have a great trip.
Ron Bell
Black Creek Glass
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Ron Bell wrote:The Heller Gallery is an outstanding visit! If I remember right they are on 14th street. There is a gallery in Englewood, just across the river that is also very good. While in NYC try "Wo Hop's" on Mott street for the worlds greatest Won Ton Soup!! Have a great trip.
My favorite soup is also on Mott Street at Wonton Garden. I get noodle soup with wontons and roast duck. It is huge, costs $5 and is incredibly good and they serve until 2 AM. The sign in the window says, "Best Won tons in NY" I started out as a skeptic and they got me. Not many places were serving after midnight so in I went.

I haven't been to Heller's since they moved to Chelsea. Pearl Paint on Broadway or is it Canal? is one of the greatest art supply stores.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Pearl Paint is on Canal. You want an art supply? They have it. Wow! I haven't been to Wo Hop since about 1982. They still there??? Whwn I went back to NY in 98 I discovered Thai food and don't think I ever went to Chinatown for food in the 90s. Have to take Bruce there next time we go to NYC.

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Barbara Muth wrote:Pearl Paint is on Canal. You want an art supply? They have it. Wow! I haven't been to Wo Hop since about 1982. They still there??? Whwn I went back to NY in 98 I discovered Thai food and don't think I ever went to Chinatown for food in the 90s. Have to take Bruce there next time we go to NYC.

Barbara
Barbara

This sounds strange, but the best, and cheapest, Thai food I have ever had is in Portland Maine. Portland had a large resettlement program for Thai and Cambodian's. They have great little stores and restauarants. Once I became interested in the cuisine, I started going to Thai restaurants all over. NYC, Phila., Toronto, Pgh, Boston and nothing compared with Portland, except Portland Oregon, which was "not too pretty shabby".
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Gale aka artistefem

Post by Gale aka artistefem »

Don't forget Urban Glass - on Fulton in Brooklyn.
lissa

Post by lissa »

100% agreement about Portland's Thai food! When I woved away from Portland about ten years ago I couldn't get it off my mind, and never have found any so good anywhere else. Also some great Vietnamese food, Saigon Thin Than (I think) on congress across from the State Street Theater is my favorite restaurant, hole is the wall but excellent food and it has character.

lissa.