Another question about big bubbles

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Jackie Braitman

Another question about big bubbles

Post by Jackie Braitman »

I’m having problems with big (2 ½â€
Jackie
Bert Weiss

Re: Another question about big bubbles

Post by Bert Weiss »

[quote="Jackie in Washington DC"]I’m having problems with big (2 ½â€
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Jackie Braitman

If a Bullseye shelf will fix the problem, it's a cheap solution instead of ruining all this glass.

Thanks much.
Jackie
tom suter

bubble

Post by tom suter »

Have you ever check to see when the bubble started to form. I usually go from 1100 to 1280 at 60dph and then sit and soak for 25 min. I then only ramp at about 400 to final temp. I have found this has worked with all my pieces and I have not come up with no devit or and bubbles. This firing schedule I use with float spectrum and BE. This has solved all my bubbles problems. But if your shelf is not flat it probably won't matter. You possibly might get away with some thick fiber paper if its just a little off. If you put the shelf on a table you can squat down and put a straight edge across shelf in 2 or 3 places and look for light between the shelf and the straight edge. Tom
Ross

Post by Ross »

I did 2 things. I was firing Spectrum and only 1 layer. I used 2 segments (as you have described) to get to full fuse temp, but I ramped at 300 for both segments. That worked for me. The next time I fired a similar piece, I used the same schedule, but I also put 1/8 inch fiber under the 1/16 paper as someone had suggested. It worked as well. So, unfortunately, now I don't really know which of the 2 is giving me the good results :? . I will probably try again without the 1/8 inch paper, but I sure do hate the thought of opening to find a big bubble.

I have some new paper and I'm scared to death to use it!
Jackie Braitman

Tom, Ross - Thanks.

Yeah - I've been in the dumps all day because the last bubble was in a piece that I need to deliver soon and I don't even have enough replacement glass.

I'll check the shelf for level -- I'm suspecting Bert is right because at least two of the holes appeared at about the same place on the shelf.

If the shelf isn't perfectly level, will 1/8th inch fiber paper solve the problem? If so, I have enough of that until I can order a new shelf from Bullseye.
Jackie
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

the fiber paper will work. i had this same problem, and even thinfire worked. i got a new shelf.
Jackie Braitman

Yep - just checked the shelf and there are two very slight dips in the shelf (maybe 1/16' deep) in the two locations I've seen bubbles.

The last firing was on Thinfire and it didn't stop the bubbles. But I'll try two blanks using 1/8th" paper and see if that works -- while I'm waiting for a Bullseye shelf to come in.

Thanks for all the help.
Jackie