Can I mill a kiln shelf?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Ron Bell

Can I mill a kiln shelf?

Post by Ron Bell »

I just got a new Jen-Ken Oval-9 kiln (thru CDV) but the shelves are a mess - big scratches and gouges and severely pitted in many places. Jen Ken is going to get new ones but no idea when for certain. Has anyone tried milling down the surface of one of these dudes. They are fairly flat with a slight convex surface so it wouldnt take a lot. I got a guy with a Bridgeport that owes me a few favors but wanted to know if it was practical. I would assume slow and wet? Thanks
Ron Bell
Black Creek Glass
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

On a Bridgeport slow and wet with tungsten carbide cutters but I would be afraid of contraminating the lubrication system with the abrasive cuttings removed from the shelf. Not at all like metal cuttings. I you have access to a surface grinder with dust collection I would rather try that.

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: Can I mill a kiln shelf?

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Ron Bell wrote:I just got a new Jen-Ken Oval-9 kiln (thru CDV) but the shelves are a mess - big scratches and gouges and severely pitted in many places. Jen Ken is going to get new ones but no idea when for certain. Has anyone tried milling down the surface of one of these dudes. They are fairly flat with a slight convex surface so it wouldnt take a lot. I got a guy with a Bridgeport that owes me a few favors but wanted to know if it was practical. I would assume slow and wet? Thanks
The shelves R quite soft

U might try grinding them by hand on a flat peice of glass with grit

Or by hand with a battery drill thingy
Mike Byers

Post by Mike Byers »

A belt sander with a sanding frame might work, too. Dusty, though...
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Marty from Centre deVerre told me that kiln shelves can be resurfaced with a wide belt sander such as those used in large woodworking shops for flattening wide, glued-up panels... those usually operate with dust collection.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

I've used a random orbit sander to resurface several kiln shelves. The quality of the finsihed surface depends on the make-up of the shelf.

Some shelves are made from what looks like a mix of hard and soft particles and being cast have a nice smooth finish from the factory. However sanding sometimes causes the softer material to erode faster than the hard particles and you end up with a vary coarse surface. Other shelves sand nice and smooth. Hook up a shop vac to control the dust if you go this route.

Grinding is an alternative that does work, check with a place that grinds stone. A lap grinder and 80 grit silicon carbide will grind any shelf as smooth as a baby's behind.

If all else fails, take them to Lowes or Home Depot and have them cut into dams.

Ron
Ron Bell

Post by Ron Bell »

Thanks for the help folks, I'll be sanding this weekend!
Ron Bell
Black Creek Glass