Stress-O-Meter

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Kitty

Stress-O-Meter

Post by Kitty »

i am thinking maybe i need to have the means to look at glass to detect stresses. i saw some stuff advertised here:

http://www.artglass1.com/fgsuppliesw.htm

wouldnt 2 of the 3" pieces be sufficient, instead of the $40 rig?

i've not used this type of thing, so any info would be welcome. many thanks. kitty.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Kitty,

I think you'll find that the BEConnection catalog has a better price on the polarizing film. I can't put my hands on my catalog at the moment, but I seem to recall that they sold single sheets (much larger than 3x3) for $11. You could just cut the sheet in half.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Tony Smith wrote:Kitty,

I think you'll find that the BEConnection catalog has a better price on the polarizing film. I can't put my hands on my catalog at the moment, but I seem to recall that they sold single sheets (much larger than 3x3) for $11. You could just cut the sheet in half.

Tony
I bought a large sheet from Edmund Scientific a while back, and I seem to recall that the last time this discussion came up they still sold the polarizing sheet. Like Tony said, you cut it in half.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Larry Lunsford

Post by Larry Lunsford »

I found a good price on polarized film here:
http://www.polarization.com/shop/catalog/index.html

In practice, I have not found the stress-o-meter to be useful. For starters, your piece must be translucent. Also, I have not been able to tell the difference between stress and "normal" where two different pieces meet.

The only time I could actually see stress was with a test piece of two layers of 4" x 4" window glass that I deliberately stressed by opening the kiln at 1000 dF. It didn't break, but I can actually see a pattern of shadows when viewed with the polarizing film.

Has anyone found polarizing film to be useful for real projects?

Larry
Mike Byers

Post by Mike Byers »

I've found it pretty useful, but it does work only on translucent or transparent glass, and I've found a good light source (such as a light table) is needed. You can see the stress risers fine this way; they appear as white areas. An interesting aside here... the Pantera sports car was constructed so that the body carried the load as well as the frame. If you wore polarizing sunglasses while driving a Pantera, you could see the stress in the windshield when you went through a corner at speed.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Larry Lunsford wrote:I found a good price on polarized film here:
http://www.polarization.com/shop/catalog/index.html

In practice, I have not found the stress-o-meter to be useful. For starters, your piece must be translucent. Also, I have not been able to tell the difference between stress and "normal" where two different pieces meet.

The only time I could actually see stress was with a test piece of two layers of 4" x 4" window glass that I deliberately stressed by opening the kiln at 1000 dF. It didn't break, but I can actually see a pattern of shadows when viewed with the polarizing film.

Has anyone found polarizing film to be useful for real projects?

Larry
The idea is to test a glass by full flat fusing it on to a piece of tested clear. This will give you a usable reading. White stress is visible, when it gets to the blue stuff, it is more serious. Lundstrom, "Fusing Book 1" goes in to the process in detail,
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
Larry Lunsford

Post by Larry Lunsford »

Bert: Your info was r.e. compatibility testing. Since I've only used BE, I haven't been worried about compatibility.

What I was concerned about (and I think Kitty is asking about) is testing for stress as a result of problems with anealing.

I've read Lundstrom's book, and he shows two pieces - one properly annealed and one not annealed as well.

I still don't know how to apply this to one of a kind pieces.

Any recommendations for checking stress in a finished piece?
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Larry Lunsford wrote:Bert: Your info was r.e. compatibility testing. Since I've only used BE, I haven't been worried about compatibility.

What I was concerned about (and I think Kitty is asking about) is testing for stress as a result of problems with anealing.

I've read Lundstrom's book, and he shows two pieces - one properly annealed and one not annealed as well.

I still don't know how to apply this to one of a kind pieces.

Any recommendations for checking stress in a finished piece?
It's the same test. Stress can only be detected with using a polarizer in clear glass, so you have to anneal a clear piece and look at the stresses. I have been told that the real view is through the edge.

There is much in the archives about this. I like the dishwasher test. If it survives the dishwasher, it is low on stresses including annealing. Not to mention sparkly clean.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

To begin with,
I started looking thru to pairs of sunglasses.

A good polarizer is big enough, and widely framed.
If you get a lot of unpliarized light on the piece,
the results are not reliable.

My problems are with cast 3D forms of clear glass. As the light is refracted and reflected in the piece, the polarisation changes.

I do not dare to take 2" thick pieces into dishwasher test.
They are doomed to a thermal shock.

-lauri
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

lauri wrote:To begin with,
I started looking thru to pairs of sunglasses.

A good polarizer is big enough, and widely framed.
If you get a lot of unpliarized light on the piece,
the results are not reliable.

My problems are with cast 3D forms of clear glass. As the light is refracted and reflected in the piece, the polarisation changes.

I do not dare to take 2" thick pieces into dishwasher test.
They are doomed to a thermal shock.

-lauri
Lauri

I agree with you about 2" pieces in the dishwasher.

I have a friend who is a glass blower, who has a profesional polarizer. he uses it to look at colors encased in clear crystal. Stresses are easy to identify in his case.

Perhaps you could try one of these polarizers out at a glass factory? It could also be that your surface relief makes it too difficult to read.

There is always the wait 3 years and see if it breaks test.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
rodney

Post by rodney »

i have a pair of cheap polarized lens sunglasses, can i just pop out the lens and use them

thanks
rodney
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

rodney wrote:i have a pair of cheap polarized lens sunglasses, can i just pop out the lens and use them

thanks
rodney
Yes. But you'll look funny wearing one sunglass lens.

To make the polarizer work all you need is a single light source and 2 polarizing filters. The glass you are looking at goes between the filters and when you turn the top filter it will get dark and reveal stress.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*