New Dichroic Piece - experiment

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

GlassOrchid

New Dichroic Piece - experiment

Post by GlassOrchid »

Here's a piece I made recently in which I embedded a cubic zirconia and some fine silver balls... this was sort of fun. Getting the CZ to stay and not fall over was tricky and I made a few that didn't come out with the CZ standing up so well but hey....

These are the stones I have to embed in PMC so I knew I could fire them without any problems.

Fun and interesting anyway.. it's much brighter in person...I just scanned it in quickly...

~Nan
dee

Re: New Dichroic Piece - experiment

Post by dee »

GlassOrchid wrote:Here's a piece I made recently in which I embedded a cubic zirconia and some fine silver balls... this was sort of fun. Getting the CZ to stay and not fall over was tricky and I made a few that didn't come out with the CZ standing up so well but hey....

These are the stones I have to embed in PMC so I knew I could fire them without any problems.

Fun and interesting anyway.. it's much brighter in person...I just scanned it in quickly...

~Nan
kewl! very interesting effect! ;)
is the cz completely under the glass?

D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
GlassOrchid

Post by GlassOrchid »

Yep, it's all the way in there. I built a little 'hole' in the pieces of dichro I stacked up to support it in place. A few other ones still tilted as the glass melted but this one stayed right where it belonged. I've got a few other ideas about how to make it work everytime but need more play time...... all our life stories.....

~N

... I should be working but I missed the board.....
dee

Post by dee »

GlassOrchid wrote:Yep, it's all the way in there. I built a little 'hole' in the pieces of dichro I stacked up to support it in place. A few other ones still tilted as the glass melted but this one stayed right where it belonged. I've got a few other ideas about how to make it work everytime but need more play time...... all our life stories.....

~N

... I should be working but I missed the board.....

lololol never enuf r&d time nor enuf kilns to do all the r&d AND the production work when we really want to ;P i like the look tho' - very different ;)
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
quill

Post by quill »

Very pretty!

A trick for putting cz's in beads is gluing them on the end of your mandrel, heating the spot on the bead where you want them to go & poking them in. This works very well for beads but of course cabs are a horse of a different color.

Has anyone tried making small pellets out of kiln paper, laying them on your shelf, laying your cab face down & fusing to make an impression & then turning the cab over & setting the stone in that depression in the next fuse.

I know...it sounds like a LOT of work doesn't it?
GlassOrchid

Post by GlassOrchid »

That's a good idea... I've also been thinking about making the cab, drilling a hole, placing the CZ in and then capping with clear and refiring... I think that would work pretty well but is a bit of extra work...

~N

http://www.UGotGlass.com
http://www.GlassOrchids.com
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

I don't know if any lampworkers are capping czs. You may have a compatibility problem there...
I think I would stick with something like quill's idea.

B
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
quill

Post by quill »

I don't know if any lampworkers are capping czs. You may have a compatibility problem there...
I don't cap my cz's but I do know many other lampworkers do. Some cz's break, some beads crack. Size seems to be a factor. I would be interested to hear how it works out when fusing.