My first solo pate de verre piece

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

GlassOrchid

My first solo pate de verre piece

Post by GlassOrchid »

Just a little proof of concept piece .... a Glass Orchid...... don't like the opaqueness or color selections but hey...

You can't see the depth of the flower as I just laid it on the scanner but the petals have about 1/2" of depth and overlap each other.....

~N
ellen abbott

Post by ellen abbott »

I'm assumming you used transparent glasses. The 'opacity' is caused by all the tiny air bubbles trapped by the fine frit. It's not really opaque (if you do one with opaque glass you can see the difference right away), but translucent. This translucency is what gives pate de verre it's distinctive look.

E
GlassOrchid

Post by GlassOrchid »

Sorry, I should have clarified that; I used transparent glass, not opaque. When I kiln cast I usually use cullet in transparent colors. I really like transparent glass; I don't mind some air bubbles, I kind of like the element of chance they provide as long as they aren't on the surface... but so many that they create opaqueness... no. I don't like the cloudy look that all the air bubbles create. I guess my model has been the Daum pieces I saw at Corning which got me interested in pate de verre several years ago. They have much more transparency or maybe translucency is a better word (?) (see another thread about that under kiln casting) Soooooooo..... maybe I don't want to do pate de verre after all......or maybe do the color details in paste and the rest with cullet.... that might be really and truly ugly... hmmmmmmmm ......

~N
dee

Post by dee »

GlassOrchid wrote:Sorry, I should have clarified that; I used transparent glass, not opaque. When I kiln cast I usually use cullet in transparent colors. I really like transparent glass; I don't mind some air bubbles, I kind of like the element of chance they provide as long as they aren't on the surface... but so many that they create opaqueness... no. I don't like the cloudy look that all the air bubbles create. I guess my model has been the Daum pieces I saw at Corning which got me interested in pate de verre several years ago. They have much more transparency or maybe translucency is a better word (?) (see another thread about that under kiln casting) Soooooooo..... maybe I don't want to do pate de verre after all......or maybe do the color details in paste and the rest with cullet.... that might be really and truly ugly... hmmmmmmmm ......

~N
lolol nancy ;) i like the form but agree with the transparency issue, which is why the only opal glass i use if black, generally coated with dichroic ;) the orchid looks pretty kewl tho' - maybe a bit more r&d to bring more transparency into it?

would be kewl to have these as nice items that bring your company name into glass form ;)

D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
GlassOrchid

Post by GlassOrchid »

At shows folks are always coming in asking to see the glass orchids... so I figured I'd better try and make some... they get so confused when I say I don't have any......

I think I'll go with pate de chunk (as someone said here a while ago) and keep my beloved transparency!

lolo

~N

http://www.GlassOrchids.com
http://www.UGotGlass.com