making holes

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

cheryl kumiski

making holes

Post by cheryl kumiski »

i was using 1/4" grinder bits to make holes in plates so they would accept clock works. the problem being 1 bit equals 3 holes. yikes!!! and i can't figure out how to use a drill press without electrocuting myself. my kingdom for a solution!!
Brock

Post by Brock »

Ask Susan Taylor Glasgow! Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Cheryl, there is a lot of discuission on drilling holes and drill bits in the old archives. You might find your solution there.

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
starchimes (Andrea)

Post by starchimes (Andrea) »

Try getting your bits at http://www.lopacki.com. The prices are good. Bits last a good while. I can usually get about 50 holes per bit.

Regards,
Andrea
paulajane

Post by paulajane »

I purchased some bits that would not work with my flexible shaft set up. So we bought a cheap $20 drill press stand at Harbor Freight Tools and then adapted it to hold a cordless battery operated a drill. To keep it going steadily we slide a tie wrap over the button because battery operated drills do not have buttons to press to keep them going continuously. It works great.

Paula
cheryl kumiski

Post by cheryl kumiski »

paulajane wrote:I purchased some bits that would not work with my flexible shaft set up. So we bought a cheap $20 drill press stand at Harbor Freight Tools and then adapted it to hold a cordless battery operated a drill. To keep it going steadily we slide a tie wrap over the button because battery operated drills do not have buttons to press to keep them going continuously. It works great.

Paula
thanks paula--this seems the most effective. i did check the archives and most of the info concerns a dremel tool. since i need a 1/4" hole drilled through 6 layers of glass the dremel isn't an option. i'll try a regular drill with diamond bits.
cheryl
cheryl kumiski

Post by cheryl kumiski »

Brock wrote:Ask Susan Taylor Glasgow! Brock
how??
cheryl kumiski

Post by cheryl kumiski »

starchimes wrote:Try getting your bits at http://www.lopacki.com. The prices are good. Bits last a good while. I can usually get about 50 holes per bit.

Regards,
Andrea
thank you!! will do.
cheryl
Dick Ditore

Post by Dick Ditore »

Harbor freight also sells diamond coring bits in small sizes. I have used the 1/2" and the 1". I use my bench drill press. You have to lubricate. I bought a suction ring at cr laurence, and fill with water. Go easy and no problem. I have cut up to 1 3/8" holes.

Dick
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Brock wrote:Ask Susan Taylor Glasgow! Brock
...saw that one coming
Alecia Helton

Making holes

Post by Alecia Helton »

Sorry to be a late reply. I just joined the list.

I bought my drill press at Home Depot, the drill was included with the press. I buy the hollow-core diamond bits from Rio Grande.

To drill with water: I place a large plastic lid on the base plate to protect the metal from from the wet sponge that lays on top of it. I use a squirt bottle to keep the drill and glass wet.

There are times when you really need three hands. And I have used my chin at times, but I've never feared electrocution.

Hope this helps. :)

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX