Dichro cab series

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

quill

Dichro cab series

Post by quill »

I have been working on these cabs for weeks & have just finished fire-polishing the first batch. I am really happy with the way they are turning out but damn they are hard to photograph! Image

They are all Spectrum.
Carol Silrum

Post by Carol Silrum »

Beautiful!!
Since I am rather new to fusing, and completely self taught I must ask what is the difference between Spectrum and the COE 90 that I use? Is the dichro coating by CBS? Really beautiful -- as is your website.
Thanks for sharing - :D Carol
quill

Post by quill »

Thanks Carol,
The dichro is all Austin Thin Films Dichromagic dichro. The Spectrum is 96 COE. It does have some different properties in fusing as well as the different COE. I am not an expert but there are lots of people on this board who can give you more info on this. I am glad you mentioned my website. It reminds me is is way time for an update,
Enjoy your weekend!
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Linda -- the cabs are real nice. It is clear you put a lot of work into finishing them nicely.

Also, the lampworked beads on your site are absolutely stunning. Few lampworkers seems to have a so much of a distinctive style as you've developed. Really first class.

- Paul
Ann Demko

fire polish temps?

Post by Ann Demko »

Lovely! Do you mind if I ask what were your fire polish temps and how long did you hold? Ann Demko
quill

Post by quill »

Thanks so much for the kind comments. The work I see here is so amazing. I love your cabs Paul. Your style is also very distinct. I do appreciate your comment about my beads. I started work flameworking in an area with no beadmakers or regular supplies, so work a lot with strips of stained glass & have developed methods that work well (for me) with this type of glass that I have not seen elsewhere. I am saving up to buy a larger kiln for fusing and am very excited about it.

Anne,

I firepolish at a little higher temps than I have seen posted here. 1350 for between 15 and 30 minutes gives me the results I like. Also when I am full-fusing I go a little higher for these dichro cabs. 1474 and I hold it for a lonnggg time. Over an hour when I have lots of layers.
kazindc

photos and stuff

Post by kazindc »

Your beads and cabs are great.. esp like the mushroom bead.
I have found that the my cabs turn out better if I scan them instead photographing them... don't think it would work with your beads though.
if you have a scanner try it..
karen
quill

Post by quill »

I never thought of using my scanner. Thanks, I will try it today.
Steve Immerman

Post by Steve Immerman »

I get pretty good results photgraphing the cabs on my light table, but with the light table turned off, and shooting through a hole in the bottom of a 5 quart ice cream bucket. I then have to do a little white balancing in Photoshop.

Steve

http://www.clearwaterglass.com/pendants.htm
quill

Post by quill »

Lovely cabs, Steve. Thanks for sharing.