Can this be done?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Rob Morey

Can this be done?

Post by Rob Morey »

I’ve been in a slump lately and searching for direction. I turned to my older sketchbooks and found some great ideas. I have always enjoyed the idea of cubism and it’s play with the concepts of time and many of my earlier drawings are of chairs done in a cubist style with the intention of creating a series of sculptures from them. So now here I am, stuck in this slump, so I figure what the hell and make myself a chair. I would really like to make it out of glass. I could make all of the components individually and then tack fuse them together. I am not so sure that casting would work because of the thin areas. Ron Coleman used sand when he made his boxes. If Ron can’t respond, does anyone know what kind of sand he used? Does anyone have any other ideas of how I could do this, or should I just stick with wood or clay? Anyway, here is a link to a chair that I made yesterday out of balsa wood. It is 11â€
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Rob

The sand I used was just blasting sand. It is silica sand and not good to breath. Try olivine sand used in the metal casting world if you can find it.

As for the chair, how about slumping one, a one piece chair out of glass would be cool.

Try this link as a little teaser.

http://designmatcher.com/nl/gallery_det ... leryID=234

Ron
Rob Morey

Post by Rob Morey »

Thanks Ron,
I’ll look around and see what I can find in this area. If not here, then I’m sure to find something in the LA area. This will be an interesting project, I’m sure. I checked out the link. I’m thinking one sheet of glass, real thin, maybe some texture or silk screened images. Hmmmmmm.

Rob
Suzan

Post by Suzan »

I'm afraid I can offer no help on this, but I LOVE that chair! It reminds me of childhood visits to the Science & Technology Museum.

Good luck,
Suzan