glass cleaner panic

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Bert Weiss

glass cleaner panic

Post by Bert Weiss »

I am totally in a panic. I discovered that my favorite glass cleaner, Glass Wax, that I have used exclusively since the late 80's has been discontinued. Yikes, What else works??????

I will try and get a hold of a case somewhere, but it could be impossible. Woe is me. I am lost without my pink stuff.

Floaters, what cleans and leaves no scum or streaks? The only other substance I know that does as good a job is glass enamel and that is too expensive to waste cleaning glass.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Clifford Ross

Post by Clifford Ross »

And Bert- even worse- - - - how are we to decorate our windows at Christmas now with no Glass Wax? Drat!!! :x :x :cry: :cry:
Gale aka artistefem

Post by Gale aka artistefem »

Bert....two things I've found. This first one is not good for the body, but it works when nothing else will touch the crud. If you use it, do it with all the necessary safety precautions. Lacquer Thinner & Zylene products.

For scum I soak the glass in Lime-Away. If these products won't take the scum off, then I sandblast and fire.
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Try this PINK STUFF if you can't find glass wax.

Might just work as a glass cleaner, if it doesn't, you'll feel better maybe.

http://www.pepto-bismol.com/

:D
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

From what I remember about Glass Wax, it was a powdery substance suspended in a fast evaporating liquid. Maybe a little whiting mixed with water and alcohol might work.

I think the mild abrasive nature of Glass Wax is what did the cleaning.

Ron
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

Bert, here is one url from a google, advanced search, exact phrase, search that lists a possible alternatiive.
http://www.jensco.com/glasswax.html

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Carol

Post by Carol »

I use dish soap and water, rinese and let dry, followed with an alcohol wipe. If you're looking for a polish, what about kemopro used for stained glass? I've never tried it as a cleaner, only as a finish, so can't comment on using it on really dirty float. I think it has a cleaner though because of all the black crud that comes off when you polish s.g. with it.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

OK chem folks. What is the ingredient in windex that leaves the after fired scum? Is it ammonia? If so, do the no ammonia glass cleaners work for us. Does anybody use Sprayway, Sparkle or Nostreek?

I think the whiting or maybe cerium in some fast drying matrix isn't a bad idea. Don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.

Glass painters know how clean the glass is after you wipe up a glass painting you don't like. That's what Glass Wax did. It isn't really a polish, just a cleaner. As you wipe up the pink powder, it takes all the bad stuff with it. The pink stuff sticks real well to dirt and grime, so you can see when it is clean, and when it looks clean it is.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
Joseph Tracy

Post by Joseph Tracy »

Sprayway has worked well for me . Much better than Windex type stuff. More aggressive on removing stuff, faster dry, cleaner finish.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Bert,

I've been succesful using Sprayway (which will remove the oils) or regular Windex followed by a distilled water rinse and towel dry.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
dee

Post by dee »

Bert Weiss wrote:OK chem folks. What is the ingredient in windex that leaves the after fired scum? Is it ammonia? If so, do the no ammonia glass cleaners work for us. Does anybody use Sprayway, Sparkle or Nostreek?

I think the whiting or maybe cerium in some fast drying matrix isn't a bad idea. Don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.

Glass painters know how clean the glass is after you wipe up a glass painting you don't like. That's what Glass Wax did. It isn't really a polish, just a cleaner. As you wipe up the pink powder, it takes all the bad stuff with it. The pink stuff sticks real well to dirt and grime, so you can see when it is clean, and when it looks clean it is.
bert - it is the amonia but for some reason no phosphorus also sticks in my memory - glass plus is what i use to clean my glass when i can't get cinch, also distilled white vinegar works ....
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

hi bert, i think that is silicon in windex that is the culprit. windex will cause horrible fisheyes in paint/varnish. i use ammonia in distilled water followed by a 'rinse' with distilled water in another spray bottle. i saw something like your glass wax at ace hardware. i will go look and report back. rosanna
stargazer

Post by stargazer »

We are floaters. We use the ammonia free Sprayway from CR Laurence (white can with blue lettering, cat no. S50). It comes by the case. It's an aresol. We get clear glass. But we also have some clear, ammonia free Windex that works too. sheryl
doc

try this

Post by doc »

I mix 1/3 rubbing alcohol, 1/2 water, 1/3 ammonia (no suds)......in a spray plastic bottle.............works gr8
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

Lacquer thinner for anything greasy or sticky (like those nasty rubber bumpers, labels, etc) and then Sprayway. Sprayway shows up any films left from labels, etc. when you spray it on - you can see the shape of the removed label very clearly. I then take the lacquer thinner to it, and use the Sprayway again.

Stained glass folks have replaced Glass Wax with Kem-o-Pro but I don't think it is as abrasive. The glass is certainly nice and shiny afterwards though. I would be worried about films left behind, but then I would worry about Glass Wax doing the same thing.
dee

Post by dee »

Tony Smith wrote:Bert,

I've been succesful using Sprayway (which will remove the oils) or regular Windex followed by a distilled water rinse and towel dry.

Tony
tony - can one find sprayaway in regular stores? or will i have to order?
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

dee wrote:
Tony Smith wrote:Bert,

Tony
tony - can one find sprayaway in regular stores? or will i have to order?
Dee

Sprayway can most likely be bought at your local window glass shop. Sometimes they package it with store labels. CRL sells it to the glass guys. You can buy it from CRL by the case, or maybe individually as well.

If you ever use suction cups on your glass. After you do this, spray on some Sprayway. It beads up around the invisible marks left by the rubber. Once they are cleaned up the spray doesn't bead. Those invisible marks become painfully visible after kiln firing.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
Marilyn Kaminski

Post by Marilyn Kaminski »

I have bought Sprayway at Costco. They don't always have it, though.

- Marilyn
Dani

Post by Dani »

It's also great for taking really nasty stains out of light-colored carpets. :wink: