Pattern bars & dip n etch

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Kim Bellis

Pattern bars & dip n etch

Post by Kim Bellis »

Hello everyone:
I made my first pattern bar today - I've cut a few slices and was wondering if I could use dip n etch to give them a more matte finish and then incorporate into my piece and fire to full fuse?

I've only used the dip n etch on my finished beads and have no idea how it will react to being heated.

Appreciate any advice
Kim :)
dee

Re: Pattern bars & dip n etch

Post by dee »

glassaddict wrote:Hello everyone:
I made my first pattern bar today - I've cut a few slices and was wondering if I could use dip n etch to give them a more matte finish and then incorporate into my piece and fire to full fuse?

I've only used the dip n etch on my finished beads and have no idea how it will react to being heated.

Appreciate any advice
Kim :)
kim, you can matte finish fused glass with dip 'n etch but when you fuse the pieces again they will become shiny again - and you should be rinsing the dip n etch off after taking them out - make sure you rinse it well and it won't leave any residue behind to create a problem in the kiln...

D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Dee:
Thank you!