10" vase draping mold

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Paulette

10" vase draping mold

Post by Paulette »

Does anybody know where I might begin to look for a larger draping mold than the 7" one that is available? I mean the one that is stainless steel and looks like a bar shaker or milksake machine cup.

Thanks,
Paulette
Bert Weiss

Re: 10" vase draping mold

Post by Bert Weiss »

Paulette wrote:Does anybody know where I might begin to look for a larger draping mold than the 7" one that is available? I mean the one that is stainless steel and looks like a bar shaker or milksake machine cup.

Thanks,
Paulette
Paulette

I made one with black iron pipe. I put a flange on the bottom for stability, and a cap on the top for shape and then covered it all with fiberfrax blanket, then tied it together with some nichrome wire.

The mold you were mentioning is a martini shaker. Much cheaoer at the restaurant supply than the glass mold store.

You could also come up with a way to raise the martini shaker up higher. Firebricks, plaster, castable,steel, whatever.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

I located a small ss ice bucket at a local dollar store and purchased it to use as a drape mold for glass. Fortunately my regular shaker mold fits over the base ot the ice bucket so I can telescope the two forms and get a taller drape mold. I never could find that ice bucket again. I'm still looking for another one.

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas
Susan Slack

Post by Susan Slack »

I have gotten molds at a resturant supply houses. They have all kinds of stainless steel. My large floral former is really a vegatable bin like they use in cafeterias.
Susan from Green Oaks
charlie

Post by charlie »

Bert Weiss wrote:
Paulette

I made one with black iron pipe. I put a flange on the bottom for stability, and a cap on the top for shape and then covered it all with fiberfrax blanket, then tied it together with some nichrome wire.

The mold you were mentioning is a martini shaker. Much cheaoer at the restaurant supply than the glass mold store.

You could also come up with a way to raise the martini shaker up higher. Firebricks, plaster, castable,steel, whatever.
where did you get the flange? i can only find galvanized flanges at home depot.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

charlie wrote:
Bert Weiss wrote:
Paulette

where did you get the flange? i can only find galvanized flanges at home depot.
Charlie

Try a plumbing supply. I used black iron. Galvi is not good to heat up. The black iron protected by blanket fared well.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions