Nova Kiln- for molds

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Lorelei

Nova Kiln- for molds

Post by Lorelei »

Has anyone ever heard of/used these kilns? They appear to have a fiber-like interior? The seller tells me this is the "new stuff" they use on kilns instead of fire brick. I'm looking to buy it for my DH, for his ceramic needs. (and mine!) Any input on them would be greatly appreciated.
"When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President;
I'm beginning to believe it."

-- Clarence Seward Darrow (1857-1938)
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

i do not know about nova kilns. just make sure that the kiln goes up to above the temp that you will need for whatever ceramics you will be firing. also keep in mind insulating properties. ceramics tend to need slower ramps in temp than glass. that and the greater mass being fired point to needing a better insulated kiln than might be needed for glass.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Is this a new kiln or a used one? To the best of my knowledge, Nova is an old kiln name. The Nova kilns were marketed as "space age", with hidden elements. I believe the company was bought out by Duncan.

I don't know if the walls of the Nova kiln were lined with fiber blanket (the most common non-brick material) or with another kind of material. Do you have a photo or can you describe the material? Are the elements exposed or hidden?

Finally, have you fired the kiln and verified that it can reach the temperature you wish?
Lorelei

Post by Lorelei »

I have pictures but am waiting for them to post on the web.

It's a used kiln, and the walls do indeed look like fiber blanket from the pics I've seen. No elements visible.

Haven't fired it yet, haven't seen it in person yet.
Last edited by Lorelei on Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Lorelei wrote:I have pictures but am waiting for them to post on the web.

It's a used kiln, and the walls do indeed look like piber blanket from the pis I've seen. No elements visible.

Haven't fired it yet, haven't seen it in person yet.
I have heard in the past that the walls are some sort of foam, not fiber blanket. I've also heard that replacing the elements is difficult. But I don't have any firsthand experience to know if those comments are true, so I'd be interested to learn what you find out.
Lorelei

Pics up

Post by Lorelei »

http://www.shatteredsword.com/kiln/

any input would be greatly appreciated

Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

It's fiber blanket with a Dawson kiln sitter. Made for ceramics. (but fiber blanket is used in many more glass kilns than ceramic ones)

Assuming the elements are still good, it should work for you. If they need to be replaced, you may also have to replace the fiber blanket. Be cautious if you disturb the blanket -- wear a respirator or mask, the substance is harmful if you breathe it.
Lorelei

Post by Lorelei »

I've been reading and researching all morning. They're offering it at $500.00. Thus far, I'm not convinced it's worth it. Everything I've read tells me this is an OLD kiln. But the seller, told me by phone "it's that new stuff they're using....." Makes me kinda skeptical.

Thanks for the input.

Jim Wixon

Post by Jim Wixon »

Lorelei...The kiln looks exactly like a Duncan(no longer made) It was popular with 'china painters' and small low fire ceramics. I got one 2 years ago for $150 in like new condition. I have not pushed the temp. and use it only when the other kilns are busy for lusters,paints,decals etc. I would not recommend it for a general use kiln and $500.00 is probably more than the original cost...sorry... but a good thing you asked.
jim
Lorelei

Post by Lorelei »

I have purchased a Skutt instead. Nice little kiln, about 20 inches deep by 18 across. Rated to cone 8. The guy will be delivering it tonight!! wOOt!

Thanks everyone for your input. You all probably just helped save me $500.

Jim Wixon

Post by Jim Wixon »

you will be very happy with the skutt :wink:
jim