Float glass coated w/ dichroic

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Arlene from Poway

Float glass coated w/ dichroic

Post by Arlene from Poway »

Hi.. I'm new to the board. Been lurking but never posted. I was given some float that is coated ( Sandburg ). Am I correct that float only fuses to itself? That the corners and edges DO NOT round off? That this stuff is a waste of time? Not to be critical(duh) but why, I know its cheaper. I did not like the way it performed. Any input?

Arlene
aka/
the funny fuser :lol:
Nelson Tan

Post by Nelson Tan »

Hi Arlene

Float has a much better chance of fusing to itself but not always.

Float corners and edges round off too.

Most of my float projects are slumping.

Hope this helps

Nelson
Bert Weiss

Re: Float glass coated w/ dichroic

Post by Bert Weiss »

fuser wrote:Hi.. I'm new to the board. Been lurking but never posted. I was given some float that is coated ( Sandburg ). Am I correct that float only fuses to itself? That the corners and edges DO NOT round off? That this stuff is a waste of time? Not to be critical(duh) but why, I know its cheaper. I did not like the way it performed. Any input?

Arlene
aka/
the funny fuser :lol:
Arlene

Don't give up quite yet. Dichro will look punchiest on black. You can enamel the float glass black, then fuse the dichro on. It will look just like Be if it is done right. Float glass takes about 80º higher temperatures to soften than BE.

I have no idea hopw it works but the dichro might look good fused on to dark gray float. Not all float is compatible with other float, so you have to test.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Arlene from Poway

Float .....

Post by Arlene from Poway »

Thanks Bert & Nelson:

The float dichroic got all crinkly ( best description I've got ) on the dichroic side. I went almost to a full slam fuse waiting for any movement in the glass. I think I'll give it ALL to a pal who does stained glass and mosaics. Thanks so much for a good earful. I'll stick ( hahahah ) to my BE any day.

thanks again
silly me
working on a website that will really need lots of work but my hot flashes are too distracting.
deena

Post by deena »

Bert,
Can you enamel and fuse the dicro in one step, then slump ,or do you have to do three fusings.

Thanks for the help

Deena
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

deena wrote:Bert,
Can you enamel and fuse the dicro in one step, then slump ,or do you have to do three fusings.

Thanks for the help

Deena
Deena

I'm not really sure. I've had my best luck prefiring enamel that is to be covered. This is tricky also as I prefer only prefiring to 1000 so the glass doesn't bend before being cased. This sometimes requires using a low temp flux to stick the enamel at that temp. Ceramic colors do not soften at 1000. The trick is to fire out any organics in the medium before casing. If glass seals up the burnt medium, it will not cure properly and you get the uglies. We don't like the uglies.

All that said, if the dichro pieces are small, you might get away with it.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions