Short in Grinder On/Off Switch (I think)

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Geri Comstock

Short in Grinder On/Off Switch (I think)

Post by Geri Comstock »

This morning I was using my GlaStar grinder and the on/off switch didn't seem to want to turn it on. After several tries, eventually it did come on and I started smelling am electrical burning shortout smell. I turned it off for a few minutes and then tried it again and could hear some shorting out popping kind of noises, so I unplugged it.

Is this because something inside the switch might have gotten wet? Should I send it in for repair or is there something I can do about this myself?

Thanks -

Shorted Out Gurl who hates to Mail Tools in for Repair
charlie

Post by charlie »

yes.

unplug it. open it up. take the 2 wires off the switch and connect them together with a wire nut.

buya footswitch. plug the grinder into the footswitch, then the switch into the wall.

it's far easier to use and won't ever wear out.
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Heh. But what if I don't want a foot switch? Can I fix the current switch?

Geri
charlie

Post by charlie »

sure, if you have a replacement one. you can also send it in to be fixed.

if it were me, i'd make one.

unplug. open and rewire to be on. get a double gang box, a socket, a switch, a plug, a cover plate, and some 14 gauge wire.

put the plug on the end of the wire. lead it to the switch. wire the socket to be controlled from the switch. plug the grinder into the socket. screw the box to the wall. plug in the box.

if you don't understand this, please don't do it, but it can be done for about $10 in parts available at home depot.
Carol

Re: Short in Grinder On/Off Switch (I think)

Post by Carol »

Geri Comstock wrote:This morning I was using my GlaStar grinder and the on/off switch didn't seem to want to turn it on. After several tries, eventually it did come on and I started smelling am electrical burning shortout smell. I turned it off for a few minutes and then tried it again and could hear some shorting out popping kind of noises, so I unplugged it.

Is this because something inside the switch might have gotten wet? Should I send it in for repair or is there something I can do about this myself?

Thanks -

Shorted Out Gurl who hates to Mail Tools in for Repair
Geri

First I'd test to be sure it really is the switch. Unplug grinder, open it up, remove the 2 wires from the switch and twist them together. Plug grinder in and make sure it's working. If you're still getting the noises and smoke the problem is elsewhere and replacing the switch won't solve the problem. If it does work, you've determined that the switch is the problem and either make your own a la Charlie's post or send it in.

Carol
Mike Byers

Post by Mike Byers »

Radio Shack or another electronic parts supplier might well have a switch that would do the job, if this turns out to be the problem. If it's the motor itself, you can also get replacement motors, but these sometimes cost about as much as a new grinder. With the grinder unplugged, try turning the motor shaft by hand. If it drags or catches in spots, the problem is likely in the motor itself.
charlie

Re: Short in Grinder On/Off Switch (I think)

Post by charlie »

Carol wrote:Plug grinder in and make sure it's working. If you're still getting the noises and smoke the problem is elsewhere and replacing the switch won't solve the problem. If it does work, you've determined that the switch is the problem and eithe
when things short out and and stop working, the magic smoke comes out. you have to send it back to the factory to have them add more smoke in the motor to make it work again.
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Hey all, thanks for the suggestions. Here's an update in the event this ever happens to any of you.

I just got off the phone with GlaStar about the grinder problem. Since my grinder is still under warranty, they're sending me a new switch. If that doesn't fix the problem, I'll have to mail it to them. Changing out the switch is apparently much like changing of the switch for the DTI grinder I have. EASY! You pop it out and tt has two connectors you attach the new switch to.

Thanks!

Geri
Marty

Post by Marty »

Geri- try the foot switch anyway, leaves your hands free for talking.

Marty