Electric Glass Cutting Saw????????

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

aussiebooks

Electric Glass Cutting Saw????????

Post by aussiebooks »

Hi,
Anybody know if there is such a thing as a glass saw that will cut very thin strips from slabs of fused glass?
I have fused 3 layers of glass, then dragged them whilst hot, into great swirls, and now I want to cut thin strips of glass and turn them on their edges, and then fuse them again.
I don't want to do it by hand, because the glass is VERY strong and thick and slippery, and I am afraid of breaking of pieces of it.
I am wondering if a circular diamond Lapidary Saw would do it? :?:
Thanks
:)
Melody (downunder, in Australia)
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

A lapidary saw may do it, but you might have a problem getting enough stroke. those are usually set up to do short lengths. another alternative would be a glass bandsaw set up with a guide.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Mark Hughes

Post by Mark Hughes »

Yes, the Revolution saw from Gemini will cut very thin consistant slices from your pattern bars. It will also cut curves. On the down side it is very expensive. :roll:
Mark Hughes
Alecia Helton

Electric Glass Cutting Saw

Post by Alecia Helton »

What you want to get is the Inland 10670 Tile Saw. It comes with a 7" diamond blade for about $200.00, if I remember accurately. The water reservior is another $12.00 or so.

It cuts straight lines in fused glass for about half the cost of a ring saw and is much faster than a ring saw. But is not powerful enough for pattern bars.

Hope this helps.

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
aussiebooks

Post by aussiebooks »

Hi again, and thanks for all your suggestions :)
I think I want a circular blade type arrangement, which sounds like the Tile Saw you mentioned.
BUT what do you mean by "not powerful enough for pattern bars" ?
Will it happily slice through 3 layers of fused glass?
I did actually see my hardware shop here in Australia the other day, and he said a tile saw would definitely NOT do the job! Maybe he doesn't have any experience with glass though.
I wonoder if any lapidary saws are made to cut through big logs of petrified wood or something like that?
Thanks again, and I hope I get some more helpful suggestions :)
Thanks
Alecia Helton

Electric Glass Cutting Saw

Post by Alecia Helton »

Yes, the Inland tile saw will easily cut through 3 layers of fused glass. I'ved done it plenty of times. I frequently make earrings in strips, cut them apart with this saw, then fire polish them. No problem.

Pattern bars are often an 1 1/2 inch thick. That is too thick for this saw.

You can find out more about the saw, including pictures at http://www.inlandcraft.com.

Hope this helps.

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
aussiebooks

Post by aussiebooks »

OH - THANKS Alecia :)
I will try and get one in Australia - but will find all the details at the site you mentioned. Our electricity is slightly different to yours, so we can't just buy something in the US and get it sent out here :(

I am really EXCITED - thanks again so very much :)
Thanks
charlie

Re: Electric Glass Cutting Saw????????

Post by charlie »

aussiebooks wrote:Hi,
Anybody know if there is such a thing as a glass saw that will cut very thin strips from slabs of fused glass?
I have fused 3 layers of glass, then dragged them whilst hot, into great swirls, and now I want to cut thin strips of glass and turn them on their edges, and then fuse them again.
I don't want to do it by hand, because the glass is VERY strong and thick and slippery, and I am afraid of breaking of pieces of it.
I am wondering if a circular diamond Lapidary Saw would do it? :?:
how thin is thin? a tile saw is what you're looking for, but it'll be hard to make a cut thinner than 1/4" without a great deal of care since the strip would be a bit fragile.

take some samples and talk to a local tiler, or someone who manufactures solid surface granite countertops.
aussiebooks

Post by aussiebooks »

1/4" is about what I want to do.
That's a good idea to see some tilers and some kitchen bench blokes - I will do that today. Thanks.
Thanks