Sifters for powdered frits

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Joseph Tracy

Sifters for powdered frits

Post by Joseph Tracy »

What is a good mesh size for sifting Bullseye fine powdered frits. Has anyone used the sifting cloth that Schlaifers carries.
Is the stainless screen any better? Secrets of an even dense to light color blend?
Brock

Post by Brock »

Get a long handled, spring loaded tea ball, they work choice. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Bullseye's fine frit is 0.2 to 1.2 mm. That's around 20 mesh, which is larger than any of the sifters that Schlaifer's carries (by the way, most of what they carry is made by Thompson Enamel).

Bullseye powder is around 80 mesh, so you can use any of the 80 mesh sifters to sift the powder. (These work with Uroboros/System 96 powder also.) The screens work fine for me, but there's no reason why the cloth wouldn't work just as well. And, as Brock mentions, a tea strainer works, too (and it's usually cheaper and better made).

Bullseye's tip sheet #4 has some good tips on how to get a dense to light color blend. They suggest sifting a layer over the entire area, then sifting again over 3/4 of the area, then 1/2, then the final 1/4. (I break the area into more than 4 parts, but you get the idea.) A light box will help you make sure it's even.

You can download the tip sheet (as well as several others) from this page: http://www.bullseyeconnection.com/getsmart.html
Joseph Tracy

Post by Joseph Tracy »

Thanks Brad . Powder is what I meant.