Hot clothes

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Allan Gott

Post by Allan Gott »

I was hoping Mr. Aurelius was lurking Tony so thanks for clarifying my own little web of misinformation, and not picky at all, facts are facts.

The windmill I'm tilting against is the casual attitude of educational facilities towards safe studio practices. Have they no fear of repercussions?.......besides being the right thing to do?

Eyewear for me was the perfect example. Sunglasses = spots and headaches. Welders shades = too dark when the piece was at the bench. Didymium = headaches. Auralens Aur99 = no spots, no headaches, can see the piece AND read the heat. The first three were all suggested and used by various teachers I had, I found the right solution on my own.

Shutting up now.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Allan Gott wrote:Eyewear for me was the perfect example. Sunglasses = spots and headaches. Welders shades = too dark when the piece was at the bench. Didymium = headaches. Auralens Aur99 = no spots, no headaches, can see the piece AND read the heat. The first three were all suggested and used by various teachers I had, I found the right solution on my own.
AUR-99 and welder's lenses are basically the same thing.

AUR-99 is available in shades such as 1.7, 2.0, and 2.5.

Welder's lenses are available in shades such as 1.5, 2.0, 3.0, 5.0 and up. If you found that the welder's shades you were using were too dark, it's most likely because you were using the 5.0 or 10.0 variants. A lighter shade will be very comparable in performance to the AUR-99 lenses.

Also, note that both AUR-99 and welder's lenses are appropriate for protection from UV and IR only. They're fine for kilnwork, for peeking into glory holes, or for off hand work, but not for lampworking.