Antique Metal "TIN" for slumping?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

camaro

Antique Metal "TIN" for slumping?

Post by camaro »

I am curious if anyone knows if you can use antique Metal TIN objects--
platters, cups, bowls, unusual objects made of some sort of Tin, to slump
over or into? Is there a way to test metals? I just walked thru an Antique
Mall with lots of goodies, that I thought would make a great slumping mold, however I know I cannot use Alumiminum yet by the discoloration, I can't tell if its alumiminum, Tin, or whatever. Looking for expert opinions and excellent advice, from my fellow glass artists.
Thanks for your help
camaro :?
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Tin melts at 449°F. It'll make a mess.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

A lot of these old items are galvanized steel, which gives off toxic zinc fumes if heated in a kiln, so be careful heating unfamiliar metals.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Yes, and beware of old army surplus metals labelled Trinity Site. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Brock wrote:Yes, and beware of old army surplus metals labelled Trinity Site. Brock
Yeah, but Trinity souvenirs make great nightlights. :idea:

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Brock

Post by Brock »

Evidently, all over Irag, the streets are delineated with depleted Uranium shell casings. Why, if it's depleted, is it so dangerous? Brock
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Brock wrote:Evidently, all over Irag, the streets are delineated with depleted Uranium shell casings. Why, if it's depleted, is it so dangerous?
It's a misnomer. When enriched uranium is separted from natural uranium in order to make fuel for a nuclear reactor, the byproduct (i.e., what can't be used in the reactor) is called "depleted Uranium". This waste product is used to make weapons. Depleted uranium is hazardous if ingested (like lead), it burns on impact, and it is toxic if the particles are inhaled. With a half life of 4.5 billion years, it will remain dangerous for a long time.

Campaign Against Depleted Uranium website: http://www.cadu.org.uk/
Brock

Post by Brock »

Whew, that stuff will give Spam a run for it's money. Brock
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

Tony Smith wrote:Tin melts at 449°F. It'll make a mess.

Tony
Really? That's even lower than the melting point of lead. About the melting point of 60/40 solder. I guess I've never tried to solder a tin object.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Lynne Chappell wrote:
Tony Smith wrote:Tin melts at 449°F. It'll make a mess.

Tony
Really? That's even lower than the melting point of lead. About the melting point of 60/40 solder. I guess I've never tried to solder a tin object.
Not a surprise since 60/40 solder is mostly tin. (melting point is ~370°F)

Tony
camaro

Metals continued

Post by camaro »

I'm trying to get unique ideas and objects to slump, however I'm not out to hurt myself, so how does one go about experimenting with items safely? In one of my books it says you can use just about anything, but test first, blah blah blah. So basically we can only use the following:
old ceramics, Stainless Steel ( HARD TO FIND especially in various shapes or object and EXPENSIVE.) Bisque and Copper ( which turns black and flakes off.) These items don't leave alot for creativity. Anyone got any safe Metal of other material ideas. I'm stumped. I am guilty of creating a mold out of galanized sheeting, It worked great, only after I used it did I find out it was TOXIC. So please give me some creative options. I want to do shapes, and sculptural pieces, and lost as to what I can use. Also can plaster gauze be used as a form, would it catch fire, and if so is that ok?
Creativity slowly creeping out of my brain, need info, advice, suggestions
anything.
Thanks
Camaro :(
Monica

like the look but not the problems

Post by Monica »

C-

If you find metal objects with texture you like, you can replicate them using a plaster silica mold, particularly if there are not too many undercuts. There are also moldable fiber products you can use, if the pattern is not too detailed.

Have a concept, research a couple mold processes, and have fun learning!
paulfjackson

Post by paulfjackson »

Stainless Steal is NOT expensive nor hard to find. Lots of items at "Bed Bath & Beyond" and places like that. Also, the plaster silica stuff Monica is talking about is called "Hydrocal" and Delhpi Glass in Lansing, MI, sells it in a 5 pound bag. Or, I could buy it from them wholesale and resell it to you. Let me know. The book sold on this site explains how to use it.
As far as steal, only use Stainless Steal or it will flake and deteriorate everytime you heat it.
Paul F. Jackson
Looking Glass Studio
"What are you looking at?"