Coping with "artist abuse" at shows

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

I just finished going a show over the weekend. It was in an upscale community, with an appreciative audience. Most of the questions I got were intelligent and thoughtful. I love this kind of show!

My next-door neighbor at the show and I had some time to chat about shows in general, which prompts this question.

To do shows, you have to like or at least tolerate the public, no matter what they do or say that might be annoying or offensive to you as an artist. I love doing shows where people are geniunely interested in what I do with glass and metal and why. I enjoy telling them more about my work.

However, I do a few shows each year where the public is so challenging, I feel like I've endured a weekend of "artist abuse". LOL. These are the shows where people ask me what country my work is made in because they don't realize I made it, if my work is plastic, why the plastic cubes that I have my price tags on are so expensive (somehow they don't make the connection that the cubes ARE the price tags and are not the item that's for sale...ARGH!), if in addition to glass jewelry I make toe rings (ARGH!), if I make "mood rings" (ARGH!), and if my dichro glass is some kind of resin with glitter or foil embedded in it.

After a weekend of those kind of questions all day long, I am so mentally exhausted it's quite the challenge not to say something rude in response when the 50th person asks me why my little plastic cubes are so expensive. LOL.

Of course, I have the option of NOT doing those shows and thus not having to deal with these questions. However, there are enough people who realize that what I do is unique and wonderful at these shows, that the sales keep me going back. And it's not like there's 20 billion great shows to choose from in any area, where I can just do a different show that weekend or some other weekend...LOL.

Here's my question: for those of you who do shows, how do you cope with these questions at this kind of show?

I've started using humor in my responses, but unfortunately, sometimes the question asker is offended by the humor or just doesn't get it. These people never buy anything from me, so expending alot of effort explaining the process and the content of the work to them is a waste of time that I could spend on someone who is seriously interested.

I'd love to hear how you all either turn these people around to make them buyers (that would amaze me!!!), cope with these questions without getting exhausted, etc.

Thanks!

Geri
lauren

Post by lauren »

hay geri! que pasa?

have you tried out tony's sign? how's the response been? i made my own version of the sign that i framed and have propped on my table. most people, but not all, notice it...those people who don't still ask the dumb questions, but those who do either laugh and go back looking at my work, this time a little more carefully (or, better yet, ask a thoughtful question) or they just kind of huff and walk away. i don't know whether it's my sense of humor that doesn't appeal to them (in which case i'm really not interested in selling to them anyways..thankfully i'm single and inexperienced enough to still be ok with that ;) ) or they were never really that interested in buying anything...either way, no lost energy on my end. the sign has definitely helped my sanity. and, actually i just thought about it...it kinda seems to help develop a rapport with people. i made them laugh, i laughed along with them...really a nice ice breaker.

i'm a big advocate of the sign. huge. i've mentioned it before. i'll mention it again too! hehe.

enjoy your day

peace
- l
Robyn Alexander

Post by Robyn Alexander »

lauren wrote: have you tried out tony's sign? ....
...it kinda seems to help develop a rapport with people. i made them laugh, i laughed along with them...really a nice ice breaker.

i'm a big advocate of the sign. huge. i've mentioned it before. i'll mention it again too! hehe.
For those of us in the dark, what does the sign say?
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

well geri, i dont think U can influence problem customers very much. sometimes, but it is tedious. my solution for this issue is to not do shows. i dont mean that as a smart-ass answer, just at face value. i used to do shows, both fairs and trade shows, and it really didnt bring home the bacon the way i wanted. about 3 or 4 years ago, i quit doing any public shows, ever. i strictly wholesale to stores, and have a stable of about 40 stores and a few art museum shops.

in my area, shows signify "bargain," which is a disadvantage. also, in hawaii trade shows aren't professional, they're sort of glorified craft fairs that take place at the convention center, and although the traffic is high, the sales can be "iffy."

it's a huge amount of work to do shows, and i'm not as young as i used to be, so i quit. and you know what? i'm better off for it. i've got a couple of reps, and if a store calls me and asks about my line, i send them samples and info, and talk to them on the phone. i'm pretty well established these days, so it isn't the struggle it was a few years ago when the income from shows seemed more important.

i live in one of the most expensive parts of the country -- maybe the most expensive -- and a few years ago i saw the light about getting my product out of hawaii and into other markets. that's made a big difference in income, and got me into thinking in wholesale terms only. the way things are now, i'm too busy in late fall to even consider doing a show for Christmas, which would be the only public money-maker in my area. plus, since i moved to the Big Island 3 years ago, i can't financially work out doing a show in Honolulu, which has contributed to my need to make the business entirely a wholesale one.

i guess some of what i've said is kinda off the mark of your original query about these odd-ball customers, and dunno if my point of view has any meaning for you in your situation. just throwing in my two cents. my point is it's a relief to be off the circuit. all the best 2 U. kitty.
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Robyn Alexander wrote:
lauren wrote: have you tried out tony's sign? ....
...it kinda seems to help develop a rapport with people. i made them laugh, i laughed along with them...really a nice ice breaker.

For those of us in the dark, what does the sign say?

Tony made a sign for me as a joke...it says this

COMSTOCK
I'm Geri Comstock
Yes, I know Geri can be a man's name, but it's not spelled the same

ART
I'm a glass artist
Yes, this is art
No, you didn't see the same thing at Walmart

GLASS
Yes, it's glass
No, it's not plastic
Yes, I made it myself
Yes, it will break if you drop it
No, it's not free

He made it in response to some of the things I'd posted about the questions that customers ask me at certain shows I do.

So far, I haven't used it, but I probably should have at a show I did in July. It was filthy with dust there and I didn't want to get my beautiful, funny new sign dirty. Maybe, if I do that show next year, I'll use it.

I have a show with lots of challenging/exhausting questions coming up in Oct. and I suspect I may need it for that one and should use it.

Laughing -

Geri
Last edited by Geri Comstock on Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lauren

Post by lauren »

O! that there's what happens when i assume.

*EDIT* but geri beat me to it and in the interest of saving scrolling space i deleted my copy of it */EDIT*

my version says:

*yes, i made it *no, it's not plastic (it's glass) *no, i don't blow glass (and i can't make you a pipe) *all necklaces come with an 18" silver chain, 16", 20", and 24" also available *my work can currently be seen also at xyz galleries/stores in the area

that note about not making a pipe, while i think really funny, i only use when i'm street vending in soho cuz a lot of guys walking by see glass and automatically think i make pipes. i haven't encountered that question elsewhere...so i won't assume. but at least two ppl a day ask me when i'm out in soho. ah, potheads ;)

peace
- l
Last edited by lauren on Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Heh! I forgot that someone actually asked me that at the show over the weekend. I've never been asked that before. Too funny.

Geri
Carolyn Ledbetter

Post by Carolyn Ledbetter »

I used to make glass fan pulls that were $10 each or 3 for $25. These were nice, unique, handmade (albeit inexpensive) glass items - and yes I had a big sign hanging over them. People would stop, fondle them, and come into my booth to "shop".

I can't tell you how many times I was handed an assortment of fan pulls to wrap up along with a shinny quarter. You know you are at the wrong show and there is nothing you can do that will "educate" these folks. They just don't think.

Geri & Tony may I use your sign? I too rely on humor to get me through difficult and trying situations. I still love the instant feedback and energy I receive from those few wonderful customers who "get it" and support my work. Matching the right piece to the right customer is very satisfying. Dealing with idiots is not.

Geri - I want one of your expensive little acrylic cubes . If it's expensive it must be something of value. Even if it is "plastic". Note they are at least recognizing premium, quality plastic when they see it.

Another horror story from last year - I was at a beach art show in Florida (right away a very bad idea). Two really, really old men came into my booth wearing skimpy neon metallic speedos. My first thought was please oh please don't make me look below their massive waistlines. My next thought was okay where would they put their wallets if they really had intended to go shopping for art. They stood in my booth for almost twenty minutes shooting the breeze with each other. No one else came in during this time. Short of being really rude and asking someone to leave or even totally ignoring them, how do you deal with "problem" folk? (I can't even call them customers because they were not looking at my art, just posturing for the crowds). The good news was that my blindness was not permanent.
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Carolyn Ledbetter wrote:I used to make glass fan pulls that were $10 each or 3 for $25. These were nice, unique, handmade (albeit inexpensive) glass items - and yes I had a big sign hanging over them. People would stop, fondle them, and come into my booth to "shop".

I can't tell you how many times I was handed an assortment of fan pulls to wrap up along with a shinny quarter. You know you are at the wrong show and there is nothing you can do that will "educate" these folks. They just don't think.
LOL. Did you have a dollar sign on your prices? OY!

Carolyn Ledbetter wrote: Geri & Tony may I use your sign? I too rely on humor to get me through difficult and trying situations. I still love the instant feedback and energy I receive from those few wonderful customers who "get it" and support my work. Matching the right piece to the right customer is very satisfying. Dealing with idiots is not.
Tony made the sign for me and wrote the text as a joke. You need his permission, not mine. LOL. I may have to use it, though.
Carolyn Ledbetter wrote: Geri - I want one of your expensive little acrylic cubes . If it's expensive it must be something of value. Even if it is "plastic". Note they are at least recognizing premium, quality plastic when they see it.
My response to question about the cubes is that I tell them they're special magic cubes that I use to get people to talk to me. They don't get it. I give up. LOL.
Carolyn Ledbetter wrote: Another horror story from last year - I was at a beach art show in Florida (right away a very bad idea). Two really, really old men came into my booth wearing skimpy neon metallic speedos. My first thought was please oh please don't make me look below their massive waistlines. My next thought was okay where would they put their wallets if they really had intended to go shopping for art. They stood in my booth for almost twenty minutes shooting the breeze with each other. No one else came in during this time. Short of being really rude and asking someone to leave or even totally ignoring them, how do you deal with "problem" folk? (I can't even call them customers because they were not looking at my art, just posturing for the crowds). The good news was that my blindness was not permanent.
LOL. Yikes! Okay, this is how you get rid of them. It's called body language and crowding their space. You move really close to them, pretending you're adjusting/straightening/cleaning your display. Bend over and bump them with your tush if you have to so that you give them a little nudge in the direction you want them to move. This really works. I learned it from a guy who used to rep for a handbag designer at shows. I couldn't believe it the first time I tried it and got the people to leave without having saying a word, except "Excuse me" when I "accidentally" bumped into them.

Laughing -

Geri
Carolyn Ledbetter

Geri Comstock wrote: Okay, this is how you get rid of them. It's called body language and crowding their space. You move really close to them, pretending you're adjusting/straightening/cleaning your display. Bend over and bump them with your tush if you have to so that you give them a little nudge in the direction you want them to move.
I bow to the master! That is a brilliant solution. If they invade "my" space, just invade "theirs" a bit. I've been called a pushy broad before - no problem. Thanks!
Alecia Helton

Post by Alecia Helton »

The real trick is being able to tell in advance which shows will be in the upscale communities with the appreciative audiences and which won't. Once you get that down (and share the secret with me) you'll be much happier and wealthier.

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
Mark Kemp

Post by Mark Kemp »

LOL. Yikes! Okay, this is how you get rid of them. It's called body language and crowding their space. You move really close to them, pretending you're adjusting/straightening/cleaning your display. Bend over and bump them with your tush if you have to so that you give them a little nudge in the direction you want them to move. This really works. I learned it from a guy who used to rep for a handbag designer at shows. I couldn't believe it the first time I tried it and got the people to leave without having saying a word, except "Excuse me" when I "accidentally" bumped into them.

Hey, I can use this! I haven't had any guys (or gals) in speedos at my booth, but not so infrequently there's a person who's mental state seems unstable enough to keep customers from approaching, or sometimes just a group of people with no interest in my booth chatting right in front of it.

I don't have any magic way of dealing with "ignorant" people. I usually just tell them, no it's glass, not plastic, or whatever the topic is, and hope they go away soon. While there is the occasional intelligent person who just asks a dumb question, and may become a customer if treated politely, most of the people who ask annoying things never buy.
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

I'm picturing all of you out there bodychecking loiterers now! They'll be flying out of those booths with a lingering "excuse me" on the breeze behind them. LOL!
Amy
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Tee hee! Glad to pass along what I learned from a truly excellent salesman.

At first you may feel a little weird doing it, but truly, it works when a group of people who have no interest in your work are blocking the entrance to your booth by having a long conversation. It may take a few "accidental" bumps or getting really, really close to one of them a couple of times, but eventually, they give up and relinquish your space without your having to ask them to move.

Laughing -

Geri
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Carolyn Ledbetter wrote: Geri & Tony may I use your sign? I too rely on humor to get me through difficult and trying situations. I still love the instant feedback and energy I receive from those few wonderful customers who "get it" and support my work. Matching the right piece to the right customer is very satisfying. Dealing with idiots is not.
You have my permission... but don't be surprised when someone comes up to you to tell you he/she saw a sign just like it at a show in the Bay area!

Tony :lol:
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Marty

Post by Marty »

Re the "bump"- I've moved those family groups having a reunion in my booth by being busy dusting or re-arranging stock. "Excuse me, can I just reach that bowl for a second?" Make them very aware of your presence. Space invaders.

I see a WarmGlass rugby team in the making. Or a dance routine.
Gale aka artistefem

Post by Gale aka artistefem »

Speaking of pipes......we had a young dread-locked man come in our gallery a couple months ago with girlfriend and guitar in tow. (We had spotted them earlier in the weekend in the park across the street from us where they were camping, playing & singing heavy metal music with their friends.)

He was in the "you need to know me" catagory of visitors. After he spent 30 minutes telling us his life story, he then continued on to also tell us we could make big, big buckets of money if we would make & sell glass (boro, of course) pipes, "There's just no smoother way to smoke it, man." were his exact words.

We truely enjoy young artists coming in, visiting and bonding, but it was oh so hard to keep a straight face when he began expounding on the merits of pipes, the materials they are made from and the various levels of smoking pleasure............

.....and we just thought the 60's were gone - LOL!

So how does everyone retain their professional edge in the grips of this type of business experience?
Bev Brandt

Post by Bev Brandt »

I was wondering if this thread would get off the ground!

I'm one of the people in the crowd, not an artist...yet. My husband and I just attended a show this weekend in fact and we try not to be one of *those* customers. And my husband - being a quiet, introspective sort - seems to overhear more than I do. And he gets irritated *for* the artist.

Like the woodworker we saw...he did some beautiful, intricate work and had on display a functional piece in a pale wood. Snooty, up-scale customer says: "I love this, but it doesn't go in my bedroom. Can you make it in cherry?" *I* figured the artist might see it as a commission opportunity. He was taking down her name and giving her his card, etc. My husband thought he was probably rolling his eyes behind her back. I don't know. I don't know woodworking.

My husband also heard a woman ask a semi-local blown glass artist about "any other colors" he might have. I'm sure that's common. He just smiled and said he didn't happen to have any purple work with him that day. I'm a fan of this artist because he does great work, is local and is simply a really nice guy. So smiling about not having any purple is probably natural to him. My husband thought he should have said something like; "Purple!? You're not buying this because it'll go with your *dishes*!" But then, my husband's not manning a booth...thank goodness!

There was an artist who made (presumably fused) glass boxes and his booth was MOBBED. I wanted to check them out, but I just can't stand elbowing around like that. I wonder what kind of comments he got, glass...boxes... I do hope he did well. It was great work.

(An aside - I walk the perimeter. How do artists sell to customers who hate crowds? Or do customers like me come back when it's less crowded? Which is what I'd have liked, but I had no time...)

I did purchase a black and white print from a local architectural photographer. I purchased it while he was talking with a woman in his booth who wanted him to take a look at her work. He was very amicable as was she. She did step aside when he started to make this sale and I think she was "semi-pro." But I wonder of photographers get this a lot: "Here...I have my vacation Polaroids with me. What do you think?"
Bev Brandt
charlie

Post by charlie »

Gale aka artistefem wrote:Speaking of pipes......we had a young dread-locked man come in our gallery a couple months ago with girlfriend and guitar in tow. (We had spotted them earlier in the weekend in the park across the street from us where they were camping, playing & singing heavy metal music with their friends.)

He was in the "you need to know me" catagory of visitors. After he spent 30 minutes telling us his life story, he then continued on to also tell us we could make big, big buckets of money if we would make & sell glass (boro, of course) pipes, "There's just no smoother way to smoke it, man." were his exact words.

We truely enjoy young artists coming in, visiting and bonding, but it was oh so hard to keep a straight face when he began expounding on the merits of pipes, the materials they are made from and the various levels of smoking pleasure............

So how does everyone retain their professional edge in the grips of this type of business experience?
pleased to meet you. may i introduce my wife (husband) the detective?
Carolyn Ledbetter

charlie wrote:
Gale aka artistefem wrote:Speaking of pipes......we had a young dread-locked man come in our gallery a couple months ago with girlfriend and guitar in tow. (We had spotted them earlier in the weekend in the park across the street from us where they were camping, playing & singing heavy metal music with their friends.)

pleased to meet you. may i introduce my wife (husband) the detective?

I have a single friend who is a fuser, beadmaker, and occasional smoker (yes she has the glass variety - and they are quite beautiful and expensive). At a hockey game she was "fixed up" by a mutual friend. During introductions her potential date blurts out "Haven't we met before?" as he hands her his business card. It read "XXX Police Department, Narcotics Division" at the bottom.

Same friend used to wire wrap glass bottles and adorn them with beads. At one show someone came up to her booth, picked up an elaborate bottle and announced that it would make an excellent "bong". My friend's mother overheard this comment and was horrified. My friend secretly agreed with the customer.

Bottom line is......Doing shows you meet many interesting people. Just grin and remember "This too shall pass".