Hen Party

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

daffodildeb

Hen Party

Post by daffodildeb »

I've been kicking around an idea and wonder if anyone's interested. I'm going to post this on several bulletin boards to reach as many cold (stained), warm (fusing and slumping), and hot (lampworking) glassers as possible.

It occurred to me that it would be fun to have a girls only trip to the big glass companies and suppliers in the Western part of the U.S. I live near Houston, and here's what I'm proposing:

How about chartering a bus--50 passengers or so--and going from Houston to Oregon, picking up passengers on the way, sightseeing where appropriate, and "hitting" places like Bullseye, Spectrum, Uroboros, Frantz, Arrow Springs, and ??

This would be a comfortable Greyhound type bus, with our own driver, hens only, and our own itinerary for 7-10 days, depending on pickup point.

So--is anyone interested? If so, where would you like to go? Where would you like to sightsee along the way? How much would you be willing to pay? The bus expense could be prorated based on where you were picked up, and other expenses like food and motels would be on your own. I'm going to assume that everyone would be on a fairly tight budget.

I'd love to see how glass is made, especially the beautiful art glasses made by Bullseye, Uroboros, and Spectrum. I would also hope that the suppliers we visit would welcome us with open arms and some nice discounts--after all, how often do you have a busload of 50 buying ladies drop in?

Please post on the forum, not privately, so that I can get a real sense of interest. C'mon ladies, let's roll!
Deb
SAReed

Post by SAReed »

That sounds like fun! I've live in No. California/Bay Area and have been wanting to take a road trip to Oregon and Washington to tour the glass places. I'm sure I would learn a lot more with a bus full of "glass women" than touring with a woodworking husband :roll:

Count me in!

Stacey
Alecia Helton

Hen Party

Post by Alecia Helton »

I live outside of Dallas, and could meet you if heading west out of Houston made more sense than heading north to pick me up. I think finding the 7-10 days when most of us will be free will be the biggest challenge but I'm all for it, so count me in.

There's at least one at couple of more I know who will want to go if they can get away when we go.

Let me how how I can help.

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
Joanne Owsley

Post by Joanne Owsley »

I'm already north of Seattle. I'd like to join in on the tours, but you'd be backtracking to pick me up prior to visiting the "glass places." Could I meet you at Spectrum, Franz and/or Bullseye without the bus trip?
daffodildeb

Post by daffodildeb »

Sure--this is an open group--the biggest problem we would have would be the bus itself, so if you provide your own transportation that would be fine.
Deb
Alecia Helton

Hen Party

Post by Alecia Helton »

Deb,

I'm concerned about the dismal number of responses. Could it be the title?If the traffic doesn't pick up, you might consider a change. Just a suggestion. :)

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
Sue Sevcik

Post by Sue Sevcik »

I live in Austin and I would be interested - I've wanted to go to the Northwest and see the glass and going with a group would be great. New Mexico has some great places to stop.
Sue
SAReed

Post by SAReed »

If there aren't anymore responses, here is a first draft itinerary I've come up with...of course it will happily be changes if more people are interested: Alecia drives to Austin and picks up Sue. Alecia and Sue meet Deb in San Antonio. You all can tour the New Mexico sites (which I will be sad to miss :( ), then you all head up to No. Calif. to pick me up. My car will easily hold 4 people comfortably for a long drive. I will drive since you three will have already done your share. We'll do the Oregon tour and meet Glassyeyed (sorry, I don't know your name :oops: ) and do the Seattle area tours. Does that sound feasible????
Stacey
daffodildeb

Post by daffodildeb »

Well, actually, there is quite a bit of response on some of the other chatlines I'm posting this on. I've heard from a second bus company, which was less costly than the first, so I think it's definitely do-able.

I want to form a central "clearinghouse" chatline for all of the various people who are interested. Does anyone know how to form a Yahoo group? I already have a Yahoo account.
Deb
daffodildeb

Glasser's Express

Post by daffodildeb »

I've been posting under the title "Hen Party" but I've been asked to open up the glass trip to those blessed with testosterone. That's up to you, but for now I've created a central clearinghouse for all messages related to this venture. This message will be posted in several forums to bring as many together as possible. There's no membership requirement, so if you have any friends interested in touring glass factories, visiting glass vendors, and general sightseeing on the West Coast, please invite them to join us!

Here's the info:

Group Email Addresses

Post message: Glassers-express@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: Glassers-express-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Deb