muller

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Dani

Post by Dani »

Good heavens! I have mullers and palette knives that are decades old and don't have that kind of wear.... it doesn't take much elbow grease to grind pigment in water! It takes time and patience. :wink:
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Barbara Muth wrote: iconofile who have the least expensive muller I was able to find online...
Hi Barbara... I checked out the iconofile site... yow, is it ever cool. Thanks for mentioning it in your post. I'm ultra curious about some of their pigments & products.... Simply reading about the pigments was fascinating!
Barbara
Barbara Bader
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Dani wrote:Good heavens! I have mullers and palette knives that are decades old and don't have that kind of wear.... it doesn't take much elbow grease to grind pigment in water! It takes time and patience. :wink:
Hmmph. Yeah, well, you probably grind pigment like wuss with your pinky out. I wield my palette knife like I mean business. - Manly Grinder Guy
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I have a muller but rarely use it. I like my cake spreader. It is heavier than a palette knife. It's a restaurant supply model. More rugged than the Walmart type. I like to use a neoprene setting block as a squeegee to clean off the mixed paint.

At my painting class, I had an experienced glass painter, Ann Baxter. She remarked at how easy the Ferro enamels were to mix. They come with a finer grind and are fairly easy to mix with the water miscable medium. They don't require the 10 minute mix that other enamels do.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Dani

Post by Dani »

Having ground my own pigments for oils and watercolors over the years, I find the Reusches to be pretty "ready-to-go". So Ann is painting now? That's news.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Dani wrote:Having ground my own pigments for oils and watercolors over the years, I find the Reusches to be pretty "ready-to-go". So Ann is painting now? That's news.
Good news! She has a good hand and eye. She was comparing the Sunshine enamels to Reusche.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
Avery Anderson

Post by Avery Anderson »

Barbara Muth wrote:Mark, Avery can speak more to this better than I can. The process where I used the muller was for mixing pigments (like micas or paradise paints) with a medium like klyrfire. The muller enables you to eliminate clumps of pigments. That was my experience.

Barbara
You're correct Barbara. I use a muller and a sandblasted piece of 1/4 plate glass to mix enamels on. The Paradise Paints need to be blended as they have small lumps. Some other brands of enamels require the same treatment. By making certain they are lump free, you avoid any problems with airbrush clogging or clogging your silk screen. My mullers came from Ed Hoys...fairly reasonably priced....but only available to those with a wholesale account, unfortunately.

Avery
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Avery Anderson wrote:
Barbara Muth wrote:Mark, Avery can speak more to this better than I can. The process where I used the muller was for mixing pigments (like micas or paradise paints) with a medium like klyrfire. The muller enables you to eliminate clumps of pigments. That was my experience.

Barbara
You're correct Barbara. I use a muller and a sandblasted piece of 1/4 plate glass to mix enamels on. The Paradise Paints need to be blended as they have small lumps. Some other brands of enamels require the same treatment. By making certain they are lump free, you avoid any problems with airbrush clogging or clogging your silk screen. My mullers came from Ed Hoys...fairly reasonably priced....but only available to those with a wholesale account, unfortunately.

Avery
Reusche sells them. At least they did.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Johnson Paint in Ma. had them in their old print catalog. I don't see them on their website. But they're worth checking out just for all their cool faux painting brushes.

http://www.johnsonpaint.com