Pilchuck Auction

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Brock Craig wrote:The short answer is, it is the single most significant auction in glass. As you could tell from the trepidation, it is difficult to get accepted, (le tout monde applies) and ocassionally, someones career takes off because of the auction. Mel Munsen is a case in point.
Thank you.
Lani McGregor wrote:Tony, it is the only auction I've ever attended where a bidder paid $100,000 over value for a piece.
Then the Pilchuck auction really is the big time. It's quite an accomplishment for someone in our own little group. Congratulations to all.
Brock Craig wrote:Hey, it's nice but there's room for lots more. We'll be a small drop in a bucket of hot glass. In the immortal words of Steve Forbert, (what happened to him anyway, at one point he was called the new Dylan?)

. . ". . . you cannot win if you do not play"

Next year, a flood of fusing!
So applying for the Pilchuck auction is open to anyone? Cost? Deadline?

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Brock

Post by Brock »

No cost. Deadline now will be next July or August. Go to the web sire for info. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

Wouldn't know the answer to that, my Seattle gallery takes care of it. You might try submitting through your gallery or call the Pilchuck school this fall. ......Doug
Chip

Congrats

Post by Chip »

Congrats to all. It is quite an honor. (And don't shuffle your feet and say "aw shucks.") And I must say, you all deserved it!! :lol:

I can't wait to see ALL of your pictures. :D

Chip
Chip
Micah 6.8
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Lani McGregor wrote:
Tony Smith wrote: would someone be kind enough to explain the significance of the Pilchuck auction?

Tony
Tony, it is the only auction I've ever attended where a bidder paid $100,000 over value for a piece.

(No, Jackie, my pockets don't go to THOSE depths!)

- Lani
Yo Lani

How the workshop thingies go in Scotland ??

Brian
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

[quote="Lani McGregor(No, Jackie, my pockets don't go to THOSE depths!)

- Lani[/quote]

You need a new tailor
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Lani McGregor

Post by Lani McGregor »

Brian and Jenny Blanthorn wrote: Yo Lani

How the workshop thingies go in Scotland ??

Brian
A life-changing experience. ... in fact, to keep On Topic... one of the students in his review of the Jess Loughlin/Ted Sawyer class he'd just attended said "this was my PILCHUCK!"

Only better.... IMHO North Lands Creative Glass has simply the most exciting glass program in the world at the moment. A bit like Pilchuck 25 years ago - wild, raw, incredible energy, exceptional teachers/speakers (at the conference).... Rudi Gritsch went as a STUDENT and was mesmerized.

But ask Steve Klein (he TA'd Kirstie Rea's class) and Catharine Newell (she was a student). I was just a drooling bystander. And standing by waves crashing on cliffs alongside the North Sea ain't a bad place to be. - Lani
Lani McGregor

Post by Lani McGregor »

Bert Weiss wrote:[quote="Lani McGregor(No, Jackie, my pockets don't go to THOSE depths!)

- Lani
You need a new tailor[/quote]

But you should keep the guy who scripts your lines, Bert. He's a hoot!
:lol: :lol: :lol: - Lani
Catharine Newell

Post by Catharine Newell »

I talked to Steve K the other day, and he's in the Auction... me, too. This will be FUN!

Catharine
Phil Hoppes

Post by Phil Hoppes »

Let me add my 2 cents of congratulations to all!!!!! Quite a show it will be indeed. Maybe moi will have something ready for next years. We shall see.

Wishing I was there,

Phil

PS - Just got my first gallery sale last week so it's a start.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Phil Hoppes wrote:Let me add my 2 cents of congratulations to all!!!!! Quite a show it will be indeed. Maybe moi will have something ready for next years. We shall see.

Wishing I was there,

Phil

Congratulations Phil. You just never know what may happen. Brock
Pam Hrycyk

Re: Pilchuck Auction

Post by Pam Hrycyk »

Avery Anderson wrote:The sweating is over...the letters are out!!! Congratulations to everyone who had work accepted into the auction.....Amy, Jackie, Doug, Brock, and moi!!! Looks like another party in Seattle!!!!! Anyone else in?

Avery
Congratulations Amy, Avery, Brock, Catherine, Doug, Jackie and Steve! Anyone else? Weren't there something like 3000 entries for just 250 spots? You must all be very very proud.

Pam
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Brock wrote:
Phil Hoppes wrote:Let me add my 2 cents of congratulations to all!!!!! Quite a show it will be indeed. Maybe moi will have something ready for next years. We shall see.

Wishing I was there,

Phil

Congratulations Phil. You just never know what may happen. Brock

Wait, wait wait. Phil's not telling this story right at all. He brought 6 (I think it was 6) pieces to his gallery on Thursday afternoon. They were all perfectly done irid pieces with geometric patterns. Very beautiful and horribly difficult - had to be. (One of them, by the way, was absolutely spectacular - just breathtaking and huge.) On Friday morning - the very next day four had already sold!!

And that's what happened - so it's quite a start, indeed!

Jackie
Brock

Post by Brock »

Wait, wait wait. Phil's not telling this story right at all. He brought 6 (I think it was 6) pieces to his gallery on Thursday afternoon. They were all perfectly done irid pieces with geometric patterns. Very beautiful and horribly difficult - had to be. (One of them, by the way, was absolutely spectacular - just breathtaking and huge.) On Friday morning - the very next day four had already sold!!

And that's what happened - so it's quite a start, indeed!

Jackie

That kind of success is it's own reward, and couldn't happen to a nicer guy. But . . . he should check his PM. Brock
Claudia Whitten

Re: Pilchuck Auction

Post by Claudia Whitten »

[quote="Pam Hrycyk"]

Congratulations Amy, Avery, Brock, Catherine, Doug, Jackie and Steve! Anyone else? Weren't there something like 3000 entries for just 250 spots? You must all be very very proud.

Wow! What a crew, congradulations to all.....Can't wait to see the photos....The best to all of you.
Claudia
Patty Gray

Post by Patty Gray »

I know Delores Taylor has a piece in it. I would guess Richard Glenn has one in too.
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Is there a list of those jurored-in? I always get lost on the Pilchuk site.
BB
Barbara Bader
Brock

Post by Brock »

PDXBarbara (Bader) wrote:Is there a list of those jurored-in? I always get lost on the Pilchuk site.
BB
October 1st all the pieces are supposed to be on the Pilchuck website. Also, Bidspotters.com will carry the auction live for all you millionaires who don't want to deal with dreary Seattle weather. Brock
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

Images are up at the Pilchuck web site:
http://www.pilchuck.com/events/auction_ ... rview.html
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Thanks Doug.

There's some incredible work there... truly inspiring.

Congratulations to everyone that got in.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun