diamond hand pads

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Mark Selleck

diamond hand pads

Post by Mark Selleck »

I recently purchased a set of the diamond hand pads from BE, and I'm pleased with them. However, I'd like to get to a finer finish than what the pads BE sells can accomplich. Does anyone know a source for finer grit pads? I've investigated getting them from a 3M distributor, and prices would be about 30% less than the pads BE offers, BUT, the pads are available only in minimum quantities of 10 per grit. The next finest grit sizes available, stepping up from 400, are 800 grit and 1800 grit. If no one knows of a source where purchase of single pads is possible, I'd like to know if there is enough interest from others on the board to put together an order for the minimum number of pads in those two grit sizes.

Thanks,
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Try Crystalite (Abrasive Technology) at http://ecprod.abrasive-tech.com/catalog ... talogID=68

Their website is miserable to navigate, but they have the diamond handpads up to 3500 grit.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Mark Selleck

diamond pads

Post by Mark Selleck »

Thanks, Tony.
Jerry Barnett

Post by Jerry Barnett »

HIS Glassworks also carries the 70 to 3500 range. Smaller grits are set in resin. http://www.hisglassworks.com
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

I just purchased a set of diamond pads.
They are 4" with a felt back for a welcro pad
with a angle grinder.
The finest is 8000 grit!
The band is Tellum.

Using a grinder is faster than hand pad,
but hand pad gets to more awkward croocks.

-lauri
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

I'm not sure it works for everybody Mark, but you can try this: Just wish real hard that you had some handpads right now, and miraculously they arrive in the mail within two days. Sounds amazing, I know, but I swear - it works!

J
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Jackie Beckman wrote:I'm not sure it works for everybody Mark, but you can try this: Just wish real hard that you had some handpads right now, and miraculously they arrive in the mail within two days. Sounds amazing, I know, but I swear - it works!

J
Just click your heels together three times and say, there's nothing like diamond handpads, there's nothing like diamond handpads....

My guess is that you have a fairy godmother... and now that you're attending the ball, all you need is a coach and two groomsmen... oh, and some shopping... and all of your wishes will come true.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Jackie Beckman wrote:clip- it works!

J
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area we call Arizona.
Brock

Post by Brock »

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area we call Arizona.

Good back roads too. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Jackie Beckman wrote:I'm not sure it works for everybody Mark, but you can try this: Just wish real hard that you had some handpads right now, and miraculously they arrive in the mail within two days. Sounds amazing, I know, but I swear - it works!

J
Actual fact. I know of somebody who did a meditation chant "lottery lottery..." He won the megabucks
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

. . . and now that you're attending the ball, all you need is a coach and two groomsmen... oh, and some shopping... and all of your wishes will come true.

Ummm, no, infact I don't really need a Coach. I recently picked up a big beautiful red one - on sale even - feels like butter. (We are talking about handbags, aren't we?)
J
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

. . . This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area we call Arizona.
Oh Don, it was NOT my imagination. Awhile back, right here on the board infact, I was wishing for handpads. Then they just arrived. They are right here. (Can't you see them?)

Twilight-Girl
Jerry Barnett

Post by Jerry Barnett »

J
Respectfully, Jackie, may I suggest that next time you wish for diamonds in larger grit?

Say 1 karat and up?

Jerry
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Jerry Barnett wrote:

J
Respectfully, Jackie, may I suggest that next time you wish for diamonds in larger grit?

Say 1 karat and up?

Jerry
Oh I have Jerry, and amazingly enough - that worked too!!
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Jackie has an awesome fairy godmother.....
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS