Surface Finishes

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

coolntn

Surface Finishes

Post by coolntn »

I've seen some kiln cast glass with what appears to be quite detailed, gradated colors...

My question is are these unique and "sensitive" areas...

A. Painted
B. Patinaed
C. Actual colored glass melted in the cast
D. none of the above
E. all of the above

I know it's hard to choose without seeing a pic...but I hate to post someone elses one without permission.

If some of these are patinas or painted is this a legitimate technique to making kiln cast sculptures and what type of patinas and paints are used.

Thanks for all and any information :)
Russ
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

could be any of the above Russ, depending on what work you are talking about. I recommend you ask the person who made the work about their techniques.

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

Give us the name of the artist and/or a web site where we can see some pictures. Then we can probably answer your question.

In general though -- any technique is legitimate for sculpture as long as it serves the purpose, won't self destruct (unless it is supposed to), and is well executed. A lot of glass sculptors paint on the finished glass.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi Russ
I don't see a problem with painting on glass if it gives the desired result. It's the end result that counts. I can't remember where I saw it but it was a sand carved picture of swans and there where gold tinted tips on the wings and the head of the swans Without the gold highlights it would have been beautiful but with the added accents of painted gold it was stunning
Regards Ian
coolntn

Artist...and the work.

Post by coolntn »

The particular piece I was curious about it at this web address....

http://www.glassartcanada.ca/irenefroli ... yself.html

The artist is Irene Frolic. I'm wondering how she was able to achieve the colors and texture of the piece ?

Still I guess my question holds...about surface textures and "embellishing". The comment about the gold tips...was something I was looking at doing...but on an obviously different style piece. Instead of embedding the gold leaf in the cast I would rather add it to the piece after it's done cooking. Sorta like they do with gold leafing on furniture...mold work, etc.

Any other comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Russ
Brock

Post by Brock »

It's kiln cast, (check the fin running down the front) and coloured with pigments or oxides of some sort. I'm positive about the casting, guessing about the colourants. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Ian

Post by Ian »

Could it be cast in a centrifuge with oxides poured onto the melt in the crucible which on casting would swirl oxides onto surface of finished cast
Regards
Ian
( talk about throwing the cat amongst the pigeons)
coolntn

Pigments....Brock...

Post by coolntn »

Brock...are you saying the pigments are added before casting or after the cast is completed ? Sorta like a patina ? Not famaliar with oxides and pigmentation.

Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

casper2 wrote:Could it be cast in a centrifuge with oxides poured onto the melt in the crucible which on casting would swirl oxides onto surface of finished cast
( talk about throwing the cat amongst the pigeons)
It could be, but I'm betting it wasn't.

My guess is B (patinaed, some sort of oxide). C (cast colored glass) also possible, but less likely, judging from the look of her other pieces on the site, which are mostly just one color castings.
Brock

Re: Pigments....Brock...

Post by Brock »

coolntn wrote:Brock...are you saying the pigments are added before casting or after the cast is completed ? Sorta like a patina ? Not famaliar with oxides and pigmentation.

I'm still guessing, but my guess is that the colourant is applied to the interior of the plaster mold, possibly copper and iron in a fine powder.
That's my guess and I'm stickin' to it. Brock
Judi Charlson

Post by Judi Charlson »

The first glass courseI took was with Irene Frolic at Corning about 3 years ago. She is an exceptional teacher, warm and giving.
Her work is wonderful . She is Canadian and mostly teachs there.If you ever getr a chance to take her class -do it!!
Here is her recipe for adding copper to her kiln cast pieces:
2parts Elmer's carpender glue
1part copper powder
1part silica sand

add 2 drops of water at a time and mix
Pour into plaster mould and roll it around
then turn the mould over and let it run out.
She likes accidents.
This causes texture and blue coloring(mostly)
I did my first negative sculpture in a solid glass form in her class. She told me that she never saw that before. In Lucartha"s new book on Women in Glass I noticed that that is what she is doing now.I was flattered. We all learn from each other.
Judi
She also will paint on glass with oil paint, but sandblasts first.
Joe Ruelle

Post by Joe Ruelle »

Judi Charlson wrote:1part copper powder

Judi, do you know of a source for copper powder. Or, is there a way to make copper powder at home?

Thanks, Joe from Wisconsin
Judi Charlson

Post by Judi Charlson »

A source for bronze,brass or copper powder is Montoya Sculpure and Fine Art Supply in Florida.
I think a 1 pound can of copper powder is about $15.00
I can't find web site right now, but you can call 1-800-682-TOOL(8665) to
place an order or request a catalog.
Judi
coolntn

Thanks

Post by coolntn »

Wow...I appreciate all the responses.

Sounds so exciting...something I'm going to have to experiment with.

I love her work...this will give me some needed inspiration :)

Thanks so much everyone :)
Robyn Alexander

Post by Robyn Alexander »

Judi Charlson wrote:A source for bronze,brass or copper powder is Montoya Sculpure and Fine Art Supply in Florida.
I think a 1 pound can of copper powder is about $15.00
I can't find web site right now, but you can call 1-800-682-TOOL(8665) to
place an order or request a catalog.
Judi
http://www.montoyasculpture.com/
Joe Ruelle

Post by Joe Ruelle »

Thank you for the phone number and site link for the copper powder and also for link to view the sculpture in question. This board makes learning casting so much easier. :)

Till later, Joe from Wisconsin
coolntn

PHOTO

Post by coolntn »

Ok, here is a new piece I took out of the oven this afternoon. That isn't an iridized gold finish...but rather applied with a brass brush by rubbing. The coating comes off when washed with a damp cloth.

A surface which looks nice...any ideas on perhaps a more stable coating ?

Also any comments, critiques very welcome.

Russ

irenefrolic

Post by irenefrolic »

Irene here. Heard of this through the "grapevine". Brock, the bon vivant, pedant casting instructor, wins the kiln casting olympics! I do "paint" the insides of my molds with the formula that Judi outlines. I use plate glass for these sculptures. Good luck everyone...and what a wonderful forum. A first for me to get involved.
Irene Frolic
Brock

Post by Brock »

Hey Irene, great to see you posting here. It'll be good to have your expert advice on this board. Are you going to the Pilchuck auction? Brock