How to fix broken bit?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

PDXBarbara

How to fix broken bit?

Post by PDXBarbara »

I need to fix a small area on a large, fused/slumped/all-done piece. Here's a photo below, to simplify describing the problem.
The right part of the little appendage at the top right of the piece was broken off. I don't want to replace it or anything... just coldwork the edge with out going back into the kiln. I've been told that I won't be able to do this and have the surface look the same as the rest of it.... in other words, that it's to stick out (ha ha) like a sore appendage.

I'm willing to coldwork and dab on a coating or whatever will work.... hopefully a relatively simple way. My last resort is to flatten & re-slump. A lot to do for an itsy bitsy edge...& risking wrecking the whole piece.

Thanks in advance for all advice & suggestions.
Barbara
Barbara Bader
Melissa Terman

Post by Melissa Terman »

Your picture isn't loading.
Melissa Terman
SAReed

Post by SAReed »

Wow! It's beautiful!

I had a corner on one piece that stuck out so I used the grinder to even it up. I didn't want to put it in the kiln again just to round off a 1/2 inch corner. I used a palm sander to round it off starting with 200 grit, then 400 and 600. I then polished it off with serium oxide. Now, it could have been dumb luck that it turned out so well, but it did work. It looks like you could use a small palm sander on yours.

HTH
Stacey
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Melissa Terman wrote:Your picture isn't loading.
Hi Melissa. If you can't load it, here's the URL:

http://image.pbase.com/u29/pdxbarbara/u ... g69794.JPG

Thanks.
BB
Barbara Bader
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

SAReed wrote:Wow! It's beautiful!

I had a corner on one piece that stuck out so I used the grinder to even it up. I didn't want to put it in the kiln again just to round off a 1/2 inch corner. I used a palm sander to round it off starting with 200 grit, then 400 and 600. I then polished it off with serium oxide. Now, it could have been dumb luck that it turned out so well, but it did work. It looks like you could use a small palm sander on yours.

HTH
Hi Stacey. Thanks for the compliment. It's a fun piece.

So you brought it up to the equivalent of a fire polish? hmm. It's such a tiny spot... aggh..that it should cause such trouble...
I'll see what I can do... Thanks.
BB
Barbara Bader
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

SAReed wrote:Wow! It's beautiful!

HTH
Hi Stacey. Thanks for the compliment. It's a fun piece.

So you brought it up to the equivalent of a fire polish? hmm. It's such a tiny spot... aggh..that it should cause such trouble...
I'll see what I can do... Thanks.
BB
Barbara Bader
daffodildeb

Post by daffodildeb »

I'm getting an access forbidden code on the link you supplied, and nothing but the red x on the first photo. What am I doing wrong?
Deb
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

daffodildeb wrote:I'm getting an access forbidden code on the link you supplied, and nothing but the red x on the first photo. What am I doing wrong?
hmmm. I'll try to re-post the photo here. BUT if that doesn't work try this one:
http://www.pbase.com/image/17994487

Thanks. Hope this works......
BB
Barbara Bader
daffodildeb

Post by daffodildeb »

Oooo, ahhhh! Yes it worked--very nice!
Deb
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Thanks Deb! I kinda wanted to name it to honor Dr. Seuss...
BB
Barbara Bader
Melissa Terman

Post by Melissa Terman »

ah, now I can see it. Very nice.

can you belt sand up to 400 and then take it to pumice and lastly cerium oxide. I polish up pattern bar pieces that way because I don't use glaze.
Melissa Terman