Spectrum v Bullseye

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Linda Denli

Spectrum v Bullseye

Post by Linda Denli »

I use Spectrum 96 glass, because that was the glass used on my fusing course, but on looking at the various forum discussions I note that most people refer to Bullseye and wonder if it is worth changing. I have spent quite a lot of money on sheets of Spectrum 96 but am curious to know why everyone else seems to be using Bullseye! Is it really better. I would really appreciate some advise, I'm a new glass fuser and my results with Spectrum 96 are a bit 'mixed'
Linda from London
Brock

Post by Brock »

As a new fuser, I would expect your results to be a bit mixed no matter what glass you were using. Most more experienced fusers are using Bullseye because it has been available much longer than other fusible glasses, and all their experience is with it. They are unlikely to change to save a little money. There is nothing wrong with either glass, they are just different coefficients. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Davidknox

also more choices with bullseye and uro 90

Post by Davidknox »

Linda,

I agree with Brock and would like to add that there are more color and texture options in COE 90 glass too. Spectrum is making an effort to close that gap however and so since you are new to it and have invested much in inventory of 96, I might just stay with it. I often wish (due to cost) that I had started with 96 and someday may change over when the pallet is wider. I would use it now but I am afraid of mixing the two and I am not that organized with my glass when I work.
David
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

I agree with the previous posts.

The main reason I have stayed with Spectrum is that I started, as a lot of people have, doing stained glass. Spectrum regular glass can be used for slumping and fusing likes with likes and that's exactly how I started in the fusing world. I had so much Spectrum I didn't relish switching and trying to keep them separate. But now I have switched from regular Spectrum to Spectrum 96.

It's all a matter of preference and sometimes a matter of convenience.

Judy
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

Why does one have to choose? I have a full rack of both. Each has it's own palette, pros, and cons. By using both types I have at my disposal the widest field of choice available. The only downside is the keeping inventory and offcuts separate.
Don
"The Glassman"
Paul Housberg

Post by Paul Housberg »

I like the clarity of Spectrum and it's possible to fuse it with almost no bubbles. And, it's less expensive. I like Bullseye for the range of colors and because at higher temperatures—kilncasting into a depression mold, for example—it seems to flow better.

There's something to be said for becoming very familiar with a particular glass and learning how to make it work for your particular needs. I wouldn't chuck the Spectrum, but I might get some Bullseye to play around with.
Paul Housberg
Glass Project, Inc.
Art Glass Feature Walls
http://www.glassproject.com
http://www.facebook.com/housberg