FHC is it any good for Kiln Casting

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Rick Schneider

FHC is it any good for Kiln Casting

Post by Rick Schneider »

Hello all I am new to the board, but have heard a lot about it from over at the craftweb technical board.

Anyway, I have the opportunity to get a lot of Fenton FHC Cullett for free, about 1000 pounds. I am interested in it only if it is any good as a casting cullett. IF anyone has any experience with it I am wondering if you can tell me a few things?
IS it a lead based cullett?
What is a good temperature for getting the glass to flow? I am hoping for less than 1500f or I am planning on using Gaffer Casting Glass.
IS it prone to Devitrification/
Thanks for your help.
Rick
Terry Craig

Post by Terry Craig »

well i used in in school a long time ago and got some great results with it then. i don't remember all the stats on the programme but i do remember that it could devitrify at around 720 on the way down if you didn't vent it down past there.
terry
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

Hey Rick
Are you back in WI?

FHC is pretty useful to blow with seems a shame to cast it. I have used it interchangably w/ SP in canework w/ no nasty results. What about hot casting w/ it?

Sorry I have no info on it's performance in a kilncast application.
j.

A lack of doubt doesn't lend certainty.
watershed

Post by watershed »

I too, have no exp with FHC, but the G-12 (25% lead,) casts like a charm. I have not tried the Gaffer lead, as the cost has been prohibitive. You know, $5 a lb vs $0.12 a lb, it takes a while before I go to Gaffer. Esp when my castings weigh in pounds, not ounces.

Since Gabbert says that FHC has a mile long waiting list, it might be hard to find someone who is actually using it. Though that leads to a lead. Call Gabbert, ask for a phone number of someone who actually gets FHC...

Greg

Oh and report back...
Terry Craig

Post by Terry Craig »

fhc stands for fenton heavy crystal.
call gabbert and ask them about the lead they shoud be able to tell you.
terry