ThinFire Burning?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

smcgypsea

ThinFire Burning?

Post by smcgypsea »

Has anyone had any trouble with thinfire charring and leaving soot all over everything in the kiln, and coating the inside of the kiln, too? :( :(
Is it a bad batch, did I use it upside down??

Smelled smoke at 800 deg. and opened the kiln, found black coated glass (it started out clear!!!)

ps had a great time at wgw!! learned alot, just nothing about thinfire ruining whats in the kiln.

What chemical to use to clean the sooted glass? Goof-off, goo-gone etc?

Thanks
stacy
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Stacy, you caught the thinfire before it had finished burning off the binders. The soot you saw would have been all gone without leaving a visible trace on your glass had you gone over 1000 degrees.

It is tough when you are just starting out and you see things you didn't expect to see. Your question comes up frequently, came up earlier this week as a matter of fact! So you are not alone in the panic. If I hadn't already read about how thinfire burns out, I would have paniced the first time I saw it brown. :wink:

Try again. This time put a bit of faith in the kiln gods and finish your cycle. :)

barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
smcgypsea

PAPER SOOT

Post by smcgypsea »

Does the paper turn back white? It is really scorched right now!
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Yes, it turns back to white when the temperature gets to around 1200 to 1400. The black is just the binder burning off.

This is very common with virtually any fiber paper.
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

I've been using the new thinfire for a few months now and have noticed a few differences. The burn off is same as always, but the new paper is much denser, and in fact behaves like kiln shelf at full fuse. I have had air entrapment issues with the new paper that I have not had since firing directly on shelves. Dealing with it through temperature adjustment, but was amazed to see it happen repeatedly. Old paper was relatively porous and let the air out. New stuff does not. What I have seen related to burn out, is if I,m going to full fuse with a sq. ft. or more of glass on the new paper, often there is a patch of unburned black in the center. The edges of the glass form an airtight seal and the binder can't get out. Leaves an artifact on the glass, but not an unpleasant look. I may try and remedy this by slicing the paper to create an escape channel. Other indicator of it's greater density is how quickly my shop vacs filter clogs, about 10x faster than with old paper. Anyone else noticed how tight the new paper is?