large glass installation mounting problems

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

bskirwin

large glass installation mounting problems

Post by bskirwin »

I have been commissioned to create a large ( 6' x 8') glass fused art piece to be displayed in a hospital pediatric lobby. I am thinking of making multiple tiles or 3 -5 larger, longer panels, but am confused as to how to mount them on the wall. When the wall was designed the architect planned on a heavy piece to be hung there, so there is plenty of infrastructure to hold the piece on the wall. There will be a mixture of transparent and opaque glass in the piece, so the mounting technique will be visible . Any ideas.???? Thanks. Barbara
Mike Byers

Post by Mike Byers »

I had a project similar to this a few years ago, two large panels of fused glass for a university. Their designer had wanted these mounted on white mat board, but 1) nobody makes mat board as big as these panels were and 2) mat board didn't seem like the best material for a public space. I ended up mounting the glass on 1/2-inch MDF (medium density fiberboard) that had been finished with a high quality, washable latex paint; this looked very much like mat board. The MDF panels were each mounted to the wall with two French cleats per panel, and I edge-banded the panels so they appeared to be 2" inches thick. The French cleats were installed on the wall (sheet rock and steel studs) with screws designed for use with the steel studs. The cleats on the panels were attached with glue and screws. You have to be careful to make sure the cleats on the wall are level, and exactly match the cleats on the panels for the hanging height you want. Installing the cleats on the wall was easy (using a laser level) and this system is quite strong. In my case, they wanted a white background, but if you wanted to make the MDF less visible, painting it to match the wall should do the job. If you use a good-quality paint and a fine-nap roller, the effect will be very similar to mat board. For a smoother look, the paint could be sprayed on.
Bert Weiss

Re: large glass installation mounting problems

Post by Bert Weiss »

bskirwin wrote:I have been commissioned to create a large ( 6' x 8') glass fused art piece to be displayed in a hospital pediatric lobby. I am thinking of making multiple tiles or 3 -5 larger, longer panels, but am confused as to how to mount them on the wall. When the wall was designed the architect planned on a heavy piece to be hung there, so there is plenty of infrastructure to hold the piece on the wall. There will be a mixture of transparent and opaque glass in the piece, so the mounting technique will be visible . Any ideas.???? Thanks. Barbara
CRL sells standoff hardware that goes on the edge of panels. when mounted offset from a white wall, the white does a great job reflecting back through the glass. If these hardware pieces are not practical, devising another way to hold the glass off of a white wall will give you some good pop. Other reflective surfaces can also be used. I am doing an installation involving chrome spray paint.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Michael McNerney

Post by Michael McNerney »

Bert,
Who is CRL?
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Michael McNerney wrote:Bert,
Who is CRL?
CR Laurence is a very important supplier for window and car glass businesses. They carry everything that a glass shop might use except glass. And fusing supplies. They have special glass tools and hardware that are not available many other places. They have warehouses dotted around the continent and planet. 800-421-6144 is the number of the main office in California.

Their customer service is excellent. They ship most orders within 24 hours from a nearby warehouse whenever possible. They have an excellent tech staff to advise you about their products. (questions like which silicone or adhesive is best for a particular application.)

http://www.crlaurence.com When you have an account, you can get prices online.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions