basic kiln question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

mpg

basic kiln question

Post by mpg »

Hi,

I'm interested in getting started in fusing and have a few really basic questions about choosing a kiln. I've tried to find the answers in the archives, but couldn't seem to, so would appreciate your help. I plan on starting with small pieces (such as jewelry) but also want a digitally controlled kiln.

How much room do you need to leave for a kiln shelf? For example, if the kiln opening is 8"x8", what is the largest size shelf that would fit? And what would be the largest size project I could do?

How much vertical room needs to be left between shelves? Can you fire pieces on the bottom of the kiln and the shelf at the same time?

Thanks in advance -- I've learned so much from this site already!

Michelle
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: basic kiln question

Post by Brad Walker »

mpg wrote:Hi,

I'm interested in getting started in fusing and have a few really basic questions about choosing a kiln. I've tried to find the answers in the archives, but couldn't seem to, so would appreciate your help. I plan on starting with small pieces (such as jewelry) but also want a digitally controlled kiln.

How much room do you need to leave for a kiln shelf? For example, if the kiln opening is 8"x8", what is the largest size shelf that would fit? And what would be the largest size project I could do?

How much vertical room needs to be left between shelves? Can you fire pieces on the bottom of the kiln and the shelf at the same time?
The largest shelf I would use in an 8" by 8" kiln is 6" by 6". That allows 1" clearance on all edges. You could fire around 5 1/2" square on that size shelf.

If you fire with more than one shelf stacked in a kiln, the temperature will be different on the top shelf than the bottom. You would have to test to know the difference and whether or not it is feasible.

It's not a good idea to fire pieces on the bottom of the kiln and on the shelf at the same time, but it is possible.

Try going through the tutorial on this site and the information on kiln selection; most of your questions will also be answered there: http://www.warmglass.com/Basic.htm
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Hi Michelle,

The AIM 8" has a 7" shelf, and you can do a 6x6 tile in it (2 layers). Thicker than that and you'll have to use dams for volume control (or the glass will overflow the shelf)

Plan on doing a single shelf. Because of temperature variations within a kiln, using multiple shelves requires fine tuning the schedules and a certain level of experience to know what you can fire on each shelf and to what level.

Hope this helps

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Nikki ONeill

Post by Nikki ONeill »

Michelle: Thanks for starting this thread.
I'm also in the throes of decision-making as to which kiln would be most suitable, particularly as a "test" kiln, so as not to have to crank up a big kiln for little tests and experiments. Tony and Brad: if you had to buy one now, what might you suggest for testing tiles, wafers, small pate de verre pieces, and pattern bars? I'm zeroing in on the Caudera because it's a nice 8x8 inside, with a 7" shelf, so that 6" tiles are feasible. It's shallow but you can add a ring and thus fire taller molds and castings. It comes with a digital controller, is brick (like my bigger Evenheat, so I assume firing characteristics would be more similar. It has side elements but I don't know whether this is preferable to top elements or not. And it is cheaper that most similarly-sized kilns (about $500). And I've heard that Paragon's quality control and particularly tech support is getting better. The Caudera can be modified into a Vitrigraph kiln, but I suppose most any small side-firing kiln could also be modified.
I'd really like to know of anyone's experiences with this one or if there are any negatives about it.
Thanks.
Nikki
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Nikki,

I have two 8" AIM kilns with 7" shelves and use them frequently for testing, small projects and classes. I have added controllers to my little kilns, so I can do more with them without having to hover over them. If you are looking for a small, controlled kiln, you might consider the small (14") Skutt or the small Evenheat as you can do 11-12" diameters in them. If you are looking for an uncontrolled kiln that you can (occasionally) use for vitrigraph, I would suggest the 8" AIM or even the 9" AIM (new).

Beyond that, it's a matter of $$$.

Good luck

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Nikki ONeill

Post by Nikki ONeill »

Thanks, Tony. Great information and food for thought. $$ does figure in so I'll have to do some checking and balancing.
Nikki
Steve Immerman

Post by Steve Immerman »

Nikki,

I have a Paragon SC-2 kiln which does have a single ramp controller. I use it for just the purposes that you are suggesting. It's been working great for me for several years. It heats up and cools down quickly.

Steve
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

I have the Paragon Caldera and really like it. It is the perfect size for jewelry, tests, and other small items. I have a few molds which I use in it. I briefly looked at the small Aim koln, but didn't like the fact that it didn't have the digital controller. I need to feel like I have a little bit of control in my life :lol:

Jenny
Nikki ONeill

Post by Nikki ONeill »

Jenny: I hope you like your Caldera. I finally decided on this one because of its versatility, price, and the presence of a digital controller. I picked it up after a recent (fantastic) workshop at Vitrum in the DC area, given by Steve Klein. The Caldera was used as a vitrigraph kiln, made a nice pot drop, and was also successfully used to make a beautiful wire drop through hardware cloth (with the extra ring). I was told it fires "hot" and fast but haven't run any experiments with it yet. I was wondering if you have any advice or experience to share on firing this kiln.
Nikki
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

I have to agree that it does fire a bit hot. I usually full fuse BE at 1500 with no hold. Last night I did a test to see how long it would take to get to 1500 at Full setting. It took about 45-50 min. (no clock in the work area yet). I really like my little kiln. I bet I'd love it a lot more if I took that workshop you just described. I really need to get out more. :?