Firing float glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

BobbieMatus

Firing float glass

Post by BobbieMatus »

I need to fire a 16" round circle made of float glass. What temperture do I need to go to and what temperture to anneal at??? Also how long for the annealing. Thanks for your help have been working only with spectrum and some bullseye.
Barbara Cashman

Post by Barbara Cashman »

You didn't say if there was more than one layer, and the thickness of it or each. also, are you fusing or slumping. Need a little more info. - Barbara
BobbieMatus

Post by BobbieMatus »

I am using two pieces of double strength float glass. Would like to fuse it and then slump it in a separate firing.
Bobbie
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

luvhug wrote:I am using two pieces of double strength float glass. Would like to fuse it and then slump it in a separate firing.
Bobbie
Use Borax on top. Fire to 1240 and soak for an hour then to 1420 with a 20 minute hold and shut off. It should anneal. I'd try tin sides in the center with that schedule.

Make the texture underneath it interesting.

For the slump, It sort of depends on the mold etc. I have no experience working with double strength. I'd probably fire it to 1300 for 10 minutes, but that is an outside guess. You have to look and see what's doing.

The heating rate is totally dependent on your kiln setup. I go up at 600º per hour. You might not be able to.

Bert
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions