More dichro cabs

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

quill

More dichro cabs

Post by quill »

I know most of you do much more complex stuff. I am hoping to get a larger kiln by Christmas, (I can only fit a 6" shelf in my little Aim,) but here are some cabs I just finished wrapping -

I can't wait to try some big stuff!
Judd

Post by Judd »

Very nice. I like dichro, and people are always willing to pay a butt-load of money for it. You are cutting a grove on the edge of the cab for the silver wire?

Judd
quill

Post by quill »

Thanks!
Yes, using a channel-grinding bit for this.
Susan Moore

Post by Susan Moore »

Your cabs are looking good! I just bought a jewelry bit yesterday and can't wait to try it out. I checked out your website and now I want to make beads too - gorgeous work!
quill

Post by quill »

Thanks, Susan. What a nice thing to say!
artisand

Post by artisand »

Quill,

I just received my channel bit today and had to try it out right away. I tried it on some cabs from my fugly bucket. It's a good thing! I generally top my cabs with clear glass. When I used the new bit I could see the channel as a cloudy ring around the cab because it ground into the clear. Am I doing something wrong? I have it placed as low as I can get it. Maybe I'm grinding too far in? I've only tried it on two cabs so I'll keep trying. Do I need to change the way I lay out my cabs? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sharon
pam l

Post by pam l »

Sharon,

If the "cloudy ring" that you're talking about is part of the groove you just ground...fire-polishing your cab a bit would bring back the transparency. Hmmm...another thought...do you have the bit in upside down? Perhaps the grinding edge is up too high?

pam
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

artisand wrote:Quill,

I just received my channel bit today and had to try it out right away. I tried it on some cabs from my fugly bucket. It's a good thing! I generally top my cabs with clear glass. When I used the new bit I could see the channel as a cloudy ring around the cab because it ground into the clear. Am I doing something wrong? I have it placed as low as I can get it. Maybe I'm grinding too far in? I've only tried it on two cabs so I'll keep trying. Do I need to change the way I lay out my cabs? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sharon
Sounds like you are going to deep with the bit -- you only need a shallow groove for the wire to stay in place.

- Paul
quill

Post by quill »

When I used the new bit I could see the channel as a cloudy ring around the cab because it ground into the clear. Am I doing something wrong? I have it placed as low as I can get it. Maybe I'm grinding too far in? I've only tried it on two cabs so I'll keep trying. Do I need to change the way I lay out my cabs? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sharon, it does sound like you are grinding too deep. A little groove works great & I have found the deeper I cut into the glass the more of a problem I have with chipping. And for positioning the height, I just lay a cab against the wheel (with the grinder off,) & eyeball it to get the channel centered halfway down the cab, then tighten the key. Good luck, it is a great toy! [/quote]
artisand

Post by artisand »

Thanks for the advice.

Pam, the cloudiness is from the channel going through the clear glass that tops my cabs and goes down over the sides. I have never fire-polished anything. To what temp do I go? If I already have sterling wire in it, would it still fire- polish, would it be hot enough to tarnish the silver? I cannot get silver to polish up after using it to insert into the glass to form a loop at the top. I have some fine silver on order for this purpose. I know I could just unwrap the cab, just curious about what happens with fire-polishing.

Sounds like I am grinding too far in. Can't put the bit on upside down, Pam, so that isn't it. I think I have it as low as it goes but I'll check that again. Thanks again for all your advice. I'll keep at it!

Sharon
Jane

Post by Jane »

Quill, Your work is very nice.

Jane
quill

Post by quill »

HI Jane,Thanks so much for the nice compliment!
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

Your work is great--I still want to get some mushrooms from you for my mother-in-law--are you still making them?
Amy
Susan Moore

Post by Susan Moore »

Quill ,

Just wondering what gauge wire you are using? I am just starting to do some wire wrapping and have been using 22 guage 1/2 hard. On some of my smaller pieces - 3/4" square - I have tried 24 gauge. Whatcha think?

Suan
Susan Moore

Post by Susan Moore »

I can't believe I typed my name wrong - duh!

Susan not Suan
quill

Post by quill »

Hi Susan,

I have not been wrapping for long but 22 & 24 work fine for me. I use soft wire though because I twist it quite tight in the channel around my cabs & I find 1/2 hard tends to chip them. If you are not doing it that way halfhard works great.

Hi Amy,

Thanks so much! I have a few. I will be making more in the next few days. If you want to pm me your email address I will send you the details.