waterproof my new canopy?

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

ruthpowers

waterproof my new canopy?

Post by ruthpowers »

I just bought an EZ Up canopy. I understand that in rain, they leak. Has anyone used waterproofing on theirs? I am thinking that it would be best to do it now while it is new if I am going to do it.

I am getting ready for my first weekend. Getting all my ducks in a row; all my pins glued to backs; and making lists.
Ruth Powers
Glass Silver Dance Dogs
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

I don't have an EZ-Up, but I believe they leak because of their construction and there's really nothing you can do about it except to be prepared that things may get wet if it rains.

One of the disadvantages of this canopy is that water tends to collect in low areas on the top of the canopy when it's raining. You may want to bring a pole with you to push those areas up so that the rain runs off instead of collecting in pools on the top. If enough water collects, the top will sag or can even rip from the weight.

Here's hoping you don't have to contend with rain!

Geri
nancyB inMD

waterproof your canopy

Post by nancyB inMD »

There are several products in the camping section of *.*-mart that will help a lot in making your canopy water-resistant. "Camp Dry " is what I have. My KD is about 15 years old. I re-spray the canopy top every spring. It does not leak. There are a few small pin holes and they do drip in a true downpour. Also, buy some rubber tipped squeeze -type clamps, at least 2 per side, You can use them to pull the fabric tight so that the water rolls off. Lower the tops as much as possible if you think it will rain heavily overnight. Some folks release the corners so that the water can not puddle.. Make sure that what you leave under the canopy is secured and covered in tarps! :wink: Also, consider either tent stakes or gutter spikes to hold the legs down . You can also fill 2 liter soda bottles with sand, add water at the show if necessary, and duct tape the bottles to the legs.. KD's are top-heavy and are notorious for blowing over in windy conditions.. Mine has withstood 60 mph gusts and some heavy storms. Make sure the top is dry before long-term storage ; ditto the frame. Mine rusted some after a friend borrowed it and put it away wet.. I sanded down the rust spots and sprayed with a rust inhibitor paint.

hope this helps, good luck2
nancy B in MD
Susan Moore

Post by Susan Moore »

I just checked the forecast and you are all clear - sunny and 80 degrees all weekend! Good luck and enjoy!

Susan
Pamela B.

Post by Pamela B. »

Buy some hula hoops. Wedge them between the canopy top and the metal scissor which connects the corners, with the majority of the hoop above the metal. They'll keep the top from acting like a collector and, if it isn't raining, provide you with something to do during those lulls in traffic.

Pam
~~~~~~~~~~~
One of the disadvantages of this canopy is that water tends to collect in low areas on the top of the canopy when it's raining. You may want to bring a pole with you to push those areas up so that the rain runs off instead of collecting in pools on the top. If enough water collects, the top will sag or can even rip from the weight.
gone

Post by gone »

Also, the newer EZ Up style (Express III, I think) is less concave at the top and more like an umbrella.

Els
ruthpowers

Post by ruthpowers »

Thanks for all of your comments. I did end up getting some spray and treating the canopy. I wanted to do it while it was clean and dry. Yes, the weekend weather is going to be great. Any of you Central Texas folks want to visit me? http://www.gruenemarketdays.com gives all the information. It is a sweet town and the market is great. Gruene Hall is having wonderful music this weekend, but unfortunately I won't be able to go hear any.
Peace to all.
Ruth Powers
Glass Silver Dance Dogs
Claudia Whitten

Post by Claudia Whitten »

Ruth,
I just checked out the market site, that's nice that they advertise for you. Also nice that they say when someone will be there so you can have return customers. Good Luck at your show.
Claudia
Claudia Whitten

Post by Claudia Whitten »

Ruth,
I just checked out the market site, that's nice that they advertise for you. Also nice that they say when someone will be there so you can have return customers. Good Luck at your show.
Claudia