Lens/Small Circle Glass Cutters, any advice?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

edomor

Lens/Small Circle Glass Cutters, any advice?

Post by edomor »

Hey everybody,

This is my first post to the list. I found this website a week ago to my great elation, after learning to fuse glass for six months. Nice to meet all of you, and thanks to the admins for running this thing.

So, I'm shopping around for a small circle/lens glass cutter, a tool i've never ever used before, and I'm hoping for some advice... I'm finding at prices between $15-60, and I'm willing to pay up to 60, but rather pay much less so long as it does the job just as well. Like my papi says, sometimes cheap is good, sometimes it isn't.

It's gotta be the kind that cuts 1/2 inch to 5 inches or so...i'm using it to cut glass of thicknesses between 2 and 16 mm.

So here's what I've been finding:

* For $15, a generic brand on ebay, here's the link to see it: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... egory=4770

* For $49, a Diamond Tech Lens Cutter.

* For $62, a Fletcher.

Has anyone here had good experiences with the generic model? The difference is big, the name brand models certainly look sturdier.

Thanks for your advice,

edo
Glenda Kronke

lens cutter

Post by Glenda Kronke »

Welcome!

There was a discussion on this exact subject just a week or two ago. Do a 'search' in the archives or scroll down a few pages until you see it. I didn't pay a lot of attention to the thread but it seems they discussed a lot of different brands, uses, etc.

Good luck!