Rick Jarvis' work

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Barbara Cashman

Rick Jarvis' work

Post by Barbara Cashman »

Don't know if this is the proper place to post, but knew when I saw the glass disks and the name "Rick Jarvis" on them, they had to belong to our own Rick. The International Home Furnishings Market is now in progress in High Point NC and I was there Sunday. This market spans an entire city and draws 80,00+ international visitors and exhibitors. Rick's work was featured as an accessory in one of the showrooms at Market Square. They were truly beautiful. I wondered if they were blown/spun or a pot melt. In any case I love seeing "one of our own" in such a well- attended arena. Great job, Rick. I hope it brings you much recognition and many orders. - Barbara
gone

Post by gone »

I don't know how often Rick finds the time to read the board, but I know he uses a lot of crunched up Spectrum and adds glass when the kiln is very hot. He talks about it some on his website.

http://www.youcankissmyglass.com/

Els
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: Rick Jarvis' work

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Barbara Cashman wrote:Don't know if this is the proper place to post, but knew when I saw the glass disks and the name "Rick Jarvis" on them, they had to belong to our own Rick. The International Home Furnishings Market is now in progress in High Point NC and I was there Sunday. This market spans an entire city and draws 80,00+ international visitors and exhibitors. Rick's work was featured as an accessory in one of the showrooms at Market Square. They were truly beautiful. I wondered if they were blown/spun or a pot melt. In any case I love seeing "one of our own" in such a well- attended arena. Great job, Rick. I hope it brings you much recognition and many orders. - Barbara
The kinda Q's Rick has asked here R

About melting the glass through a plant pot or something

So the glass runs or pools on2 the shelf

Also some of the glass is then flat polished on laps

Rick does not come on the board much now

My guess he has got 2 Rich n Famous mayB even more so than Marty

Brian
Barbara Cashman

Deinitely appeared to be Pot Melt. Couple of pieces entitled "Solitary" They were really nice, in custom iron stands and polished both sides. That's why they almost looked "blown". I just loved seeing them in that venue. Congratulations, Rick. - Barbara
Rick Jarvis

Post by Rick Jarvis »

Hey Barbara thanks for the kind words. Yup thats my stuff alright, I hooked up with this guy who wanted to Rep my work...We'll have to see how it goes.

The "Singularity" series that you saw..is done in a process that I call kinetic casting. Its a bit more involved than what is referred to as a pot melt.

But yes as Brian says they are ground and polished, which takes days and days, but sure makes em pop.

As to rich n famous hahahahahahaha and hahahaha...It has been a long hard road...but things have finally started falling into place. I'm busy making glass trying to keep up with orders. Truth is, its hard work, but its so satisfying knowing that someone will display my glass in their home with the same pride as with which I make it.

Rick
Barbara Cashman

Sorry about missing the title. (just knew it started with an "s"). If you've ever been to "Market", you must know how frenzied it is. Takes days and days to go through it, and you never see it all. I go to get a handle on upcoming styles and colors. Besides it's a non-stop party. Free food and drink the whole time. I was actually on the lookout for some frames and simple occasional tables to include my tile in. Didn't find a thing. Still on the lookout, tho. Again, great job, Rick. - Barbara
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Rick Jarvis wrote:Hey Barbara thanks for the kind words. Yup thats my stuff alright, I hooked up with this guy who wanted to Rep my work...We'll have to see how it goes.

The "Singularity" series that you saw..is done in a process that I call kinetic casting. Its a bit more involved than what is referred to as a pot melt.

But yes as Brian says they are ground and polished, which takes days and days, but sure makes em pop.

As to rich n famous hahahahahahaha and hahahaha...It has been a long hard road...but things have finally started falling into place. I'm busy making glass trying to keep up with orders. Truth is, its hard work, but its so satisfying knowing that someone will display my glass in their home with the same pride as with which I make it.

Rick
Hi Rick

There has recently been a lot of good lap chat over craftweb

U still using Highland park machines

Jack Rose has retired now

Brian
Rick Jarvis

Post by Rick Jarvis »

Hi Brian,

Actually I read some of that over at craft web....I have come to terms with my highland machines...modified them to my needs, and if I replace the plates often enough I am having little trouble...the 500 dollars a pop for the plates sucks tho.

But I have a buddy who is working on "La Machine" this is a different approach in flat glass polishing. The principle is that the glass remains in place and a series of rotating heads revolve around it using the "randomivity factor". He has a background in making lenses and mirrors for telescopes and is quite confident it will do a better faster and cleaner and quieter job.

If it works out I'll be selling them to the entire world that would want such a thing...what maybe 20 people tops? LOL

good to hear from you Brian
R
charlie

Post by charlie »

that technique is used in high end wood planers. rather than use a knife blade that runs the entire width of the planer head, a series of small overlapping blades is used instead.

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/pages/041.cfm?