Devit sprays

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Liam

Devit sprays

Post by Liam »

I usually use Borax, but I am doing some low temp slumping of stained glass for bent lamp panels. Borax doesn't seem to mature properly for me at these temps. I seem to remember that spray-A and superspray had different maturing temps. Does anyone know about this?
Liam
Bert Weiss

Re: Devit sprays

Post by Bert Weiss »

Liam wrote:I usually use Borax, but I am doing some low temp slumping of stained glass for bent lamp panels. Borax doesn't seem to mature properly for me at these temps. I seem to remember that spray-A and superspray had different maturing temps. Does anyone know about this?
Liam
Liam

The sprays you mentioned all mature around 1400ºF, I believe. There are a couple of lower temp, high lead sprays. One is back magic. I have yet to hear anybody say that it was actually good for anything on this board. I think there might be one more in the middle that works for that app. Wissmach devits when you think about too hard.

I just looked at the Fusion HQ link on the sponsor links and Gil says that the hi temp overglazes mature at 1350. He also sells a bending overglaze that he says works at 1100. I'd try that. Let us know how it works for you.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
gone

Re: Devit sprays

Post by gone »

Liam wrote:I usually use Borax, but I am doing some low temp slumping of stained glass for bent lamp panels. Borax doesn't seem to mature properly for me at these temps. I seem to remember that spray-A and superspray had different maturing temps. Does anyone know about this?
Liam
Hi Liam,

Are you sure you'll really need an overglaze at those low temps?

Els
Vic

Post by Vic »

I've used the bending glaze on Wissmach and Kokomo "honey-beige" glass. It works OK, but the glass looks a bit like plastic. It's not the same shine as the glass.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Thanks vic, I want to replicate old glass, and not change the appearance. Yes a good devit spray would be nice as I am using glass that loves to devit badly, in particlular Kokomo K11. I would bet half of the lamps Ive seen needing repair have that glass. The trick is going very fast to avoid devit, but I'm afraid if I go to fast I will break my hydroperm mold. I'm getting about a 50% success rate now on devit and I am taking all the cleaning precautions.

Liam
Vic

Post by Vic »

I make my lamp molds from "castalite" by A.P. Green 201-589-5855.
I'll bet you can't break this mold material.
BobbieMatus

Post by BobbieMatus »

I have used kokomo k11 for fusing, I used the superspray on it and it fused very nicely.
Bobbie
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Liam wrote:Thanks vic, I want to replicate old glass, and not change the appearance. Yes a good devit spray would be nice as I am using glass that loves to devit badly, in particlular Kokomo K11. I would bet half of the lamps Ive seen needing repair have that glass. The trick is going very fast to avoid devit, but I'm afraid if I go to fast I will break my hydroperm mold. I'm getting about a 50% success rate now on devit and I am taking all the cleaning precautions.

Liam
Liam if you whip your hydroperm right, it should take firing fast.

Zircar makes a wet felt that can make molds that will fire infinitely fast, pricey though. 845-651-2200
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions