Oils Well in the End

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Oils Well in the End

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

I had this problem of uniform feed on oil fed glas cutters

This has been bugging me some 20 years

I messed arround with oil n turps n mixture of it

But still got no joy all or nothing, or even great puddles

I recently came up with a simple solution

Evenivity Oil tm

I near filled the reservor with cotton wool n got it realy damp with the oil

Works realy well on the 2 cutters I tryed

U may need 2 thin the mix down a little with turps

Brian
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Great idea Brian!

For years, I've used a small cup with a cotton wad in the bottom soaked in cutting oil to oil my circle cutter. It holds the oil well and doesn't let it drip from the cup if tipped, but makes it available when you need it.

Thanks

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

my solution is to dip a paint brush in kerosene and paint the glass before I cut. The kero is easy to clean up.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Dean Hubbard

Post by Dean Hubbard »

I know what you mean Brian, that is an interesting solution you came up with, I might try that sometime.
I once pulled the little fabric wick completly out of a cutter, it oiled the score too good if you know what I mean. I had to make sure it was always placed vertically with the cutter head pointing to heaven in my overall chest pocket pouch when not in use.
I've noticed that they work great for "a little while" just after you fill them up, I think the bolt that caps the top might pressurize the resivor just a tad, only for a little while.
Tony has a fail safe solution, just make sure you don't knock it over. I glued a small cap from a can of Sprayway to a small piece of 1/4" plate to solve the tipping problem. When I use my circle cutter,(the darned thing scores too hot) I place a small cotton ball under the cutter head to "paint" like Bert does.
The best thing that I found for getting a cutter to oil better, is Marvel's Mystery Oil thinned just slightly and left laying horizontal when not in use.

Dean