BE Dense White

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Amy on Salt Spring

BE Dense White

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

I'm planning a piece which will require me to use BE thin white over a darker color. I've always used the regular white in all my work but the thin white I have is kind of wispy and the darker color shows through quite strongly in places after firing. I was thinking that the Dense White which I have never used would be the solution but I don't want to assume anything before ordering. Is it indeed a more solid white even in a thin? I know it can sometimes be tricky to work with--is it really difficult to cut or anything?
Amy
Mike Byers

Post by Mike Byers »

The BE white I've used (0113) is quite opaque, and doesn't seem to let any color, even black, show through it when it's fused on top of another color. I've never encountered any problems with this glass, but I believe it is a little harder--as in surface hardness--than other colors. From what I know, white glass in general is a bit harder than other colors, but the BE seems to cut just fine with a carbide wheel cutter. Also, remember that white will not melt and fuse as quickly as darker colors.
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

I bought some dense white for the same reason. I thought the regular white was kinda wimpy looking. I haven't done much with it yet but I did notice the it reacts with French Vanilla.

I made a reference tile, using dense white as a base, and one of the small squares I put on it was French Vanilla. There is a nice brown outline around the Vanilla where it reacted with the dense white. Maybe it reacts with regular white too. It seems to react with nearly everything.

The Hobbyist.............................Jim
Amy on Salt Spring

Thanks Jim! ...I wonder if it reacts with Canary Yellow or Spring Green opaque...sounds kind of likely.
Amy
Amy on Salt Spring

Duh! I just realized that it was the French Vanilla the was the culprit in your brown line not the Dense White of course. No more responding to posts first thing in the morning for me!
Amy
charlie

Post by charlie »

i've used a bunch of it. yes, it is much more denser white, although i haven't seen it in thin. it doesn't react with anything that i've found. it was hard to cut it, but doable. you'll need different schedules for it, since it doesn't melt at as low a temp as other colors.