Sandblasting - FAST SIGNS for stencil cuts

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Martycom

Sandblasting - FAST SIGNS for stencil cuts

Post by Martycom »

Last May there was a big discussion on stencil cutting resists for sandblasting.. dichroic glass in particular.
I wrote in recommending having you work die cut from a FAST SIGNS, or any commercial sign makers (they use vinyl lettering).

We just finished a beautiful job, with 1/16" fine detail. The resist got harder as we blasted, and held the sharp edges of the very fine work..... It's expensive, but well worth those sore fingers.

MartyM.... College of Marin
watershed

Post by watershed »

What would be the code words, as I walk into fastsigns. I would like you to ____ with this drawings, and do it on _____ paper/resist, so I can ____...

I know that sandblast resist is not what they do, so if I can say X in their language, some time might be saved..

Greg
rodney

Post by rodney »

can this also be used as a resist for acid etching,,,,can you tell me the name of the material that was used, is it a particular material, other than the regular sign stuff,,thanks,rodney
Ron Bell

Done on my Vinyl cutter

Post by Ron Bell »

I do this on a regular basis since I have a vinyl cutter as part of my real job doing computer graphics. It is fairly straight forward, you need a vector art file created from something like Adobe Illustrator. The paths have to simplified and you have to know how to "weed" the vinyl. If anyone would like a sample, email me and I'll be glad to assist. A basic 6" x 6" piece should be less than $10 including weeding and application tape.
Ron Bell
Black Creek Glass
Martycom

Post by Martycom »

glad to see the enthusiasm...
All you need is a good print of what ever it is you want copied. Ask for the heaviest vinyl. Then ask for either the positive or negative.
(They did both for us). It's cut perfectly, and easy to handle on productive paper....
Lay that on your glass surface, and smooth down with a brayer...
Good luck....
Martycom

Post by Martycom »

I actually meant protective paper.... not productive.... Marty
Martycom

Post by Martycom »

Regarding acid etching.... It's about the same vinyl that I have used for acid etching.... about 4 mil. I sure would try it.