Molds

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Chip

Molds

Post by Chip »

Is one source better than another for pre-made clay molds? I've used the usual: Alpine, WC, eBay, etc., but are/is there a more affordable supplier? Thanks.
Chip
Micah 6.8
BobbieMatus

Post by BobbieMatus »

You can try crest molds, much better quality then alpine.
http://www.crestmolds.com
Bobbie
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

C & R Loo is carrying a new line of molds called Dragon Molds. They look to be very well designed and there are some interesting shapes. They're about the same price range as BE.

I've only bought one, so far, and have used it twice. It worked very well and I was pleased with the results. I will be buying more as soon as my budget allows.

The Hobbyist..........................Jim
Stephie

Post by Stephie »

Hi Jim,
I was looking at those molds last night. Which one did you try?
I was wondering on the plate or bowl mold how the "foot" (the right around the bottom that it sits on) came out.
Stephie
Stephie

Post by Stephie »

that was ring not right ....
Stephie
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

Stephie, I bought the 4F which is a very deep drop in the mold and takes a long time but the flaired out top is cool.

I was wondering the same thing about getting that ridge at the bottom to "take". I like the concept of the foot and it is like kilncarving so it should work. My guess is that it will need to be slumped hotter than usual and longer.

Let us all know if you try one, please.

The Hobbyist.....................Jim
Chip

Post by Chip »

Thank you all!!
Chip
Micah 6.8
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi
Dragon Glass slumping moulds are made here in South Africa. They were designed to have wall thicknesses of approx 5mm and also to have the bottom of the mould suspended off the shelf in the kiln. In the outer wall of the mould there are two half moons cut out of the walls to act as handles and to allow even distribution of heat. I have been using them for about 18 months now and have found them to be very good. The foot rings in the bottom of the moulds work very well. Just make sure that the coating of kiln wash is even in the foot ring to keep the same depth all round. I have found that firing at 785C and holding for 4 min gives me a good impression of the foot ring using float.
Hope this helps
Best regards
Ian
Stephie

Post by Stephie »

Ian - thanks for the info :D . I can't wait to try one.
Stephie