What is a powder wafer?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Joanne Owsley

Post by Joanne Owsley »

Does anyone have a good source for those itty bitty little sifters?
~ Joanne

"What neglected medication made you think THAT was a good idea??"
- me, to myself
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Joanne Owsley wrote:Does anyone have a good source for those itty bitty little sifters?

You can get them from any local kitchen gadget supplier or from these folks:

http://fantes.com/tea_infusers.htm#handle

The going price seems to be $2.50 just about everywhere.

- Paul
Don Burt

Re: What is a powder wafer?

Post by Don Burt »

Paul Tarlow wrote:
Close - the leaf (like many powder wafers) was made in reverse -- design-side down against the shelf. So the details go on first, working towards the back ofthe leaf.

- Paul
Can someone explain the advantage found in doing this prefired wafer technique, rather than just sifting back layer to front layer on the final substrate? I'm missing something, as usual.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Paul Tarlow wrote:
Chip wrote:
Paul Tarlow wrote:Here's another leaf example: http://www.izm.com/pond.htm
Paul,
The leaf in the pond is the powder wafer? (BTW, once again, every time I look at this peice I am just in awe. It really touches something deep in me)

So if I read Brock correctly, you got a "pattern" of a leaf, sifted down a background, then removed the pattern and used other colors to accent the peice?
Thanks.
Close - the leaf (like many powder wafers) was made in reverse -- design-side down against the shelf. So the details go on first, working towards the back ofthe leaf.

- Paul
You mean the actual stems and veins went down first, then the glass to represent the actual leaf?
Chip
Micah 6.8
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Chip wrote:You mean the actual stems and veins went down first, then the glass to represent the actual leaf?
No, everything was done with glass -- the details (in glass) went down first.

No trees were harmed in the making of this piece of art :)
Chip

Post by Chip »

:lol: :lol: LOL!!! Thanks, I needed that.

No, I meant that the "veins" and "stem" made out of glass went down first, then the "leaf", also glass, was sifted over those?
Chip
Micah 6.8
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Don Burt wrote:
Paul Tarlow wrote:

- Paul
Can someone explain the advantage found in doing this prefired wafer technique, rather than just sifting back layer to front layer on the final substrate? I'm missing something, as usual.
There are a couple advantages from my point of view. The biggest one, though, is I can make a dozen wafers (at very little cost) and the choose which I like best before committing expensive sheet glass to the project.

Also, I can play with design by moving wafers around as design elements on sheet glass.

I frequently "clean up" wafers before fusing to sheet glass -- that includes grinding and tweezing them just the way I want.

Lastly -- and for reasons I can't explain -- I find I am able to execute designs working front-to-back that I cannot achieve working back to front.

- Paul
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Chip wrote::lol: :lol: LOL!!! Thanks, I needed that.

No, I meant that the "veins" and "stem" made out of glass went down first, then the "leaf", also glass, was sifted over those?
Yes - that is correct.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi everyone,

Just a couple of comments on this thread. Paul seems to have said everything that I would have... but I still have to get my two cents woth in. I prowl kitchen specialty shops for sifters... AKA tea-balls. If you are looking for cheap tea balls try Ikea. Also look for "Spice infusers". I have a whole selection of tea balls.They grade from several small holes on a a heart shaped sheet of solid metal (1.5 inches wide) that is great for just placing accents.... to tea balls like the one Paul showed ( good for detail work) .... to tea balls 3 inches in diameter for covering large areas,... to large flat bottomed tea balls... to oblong shaped spice infusers about 4 inches long (my new front end loader). Each one dispenses powder in a unique way.... lots of possibilities.

DB asked what is the advantage of using wafers. Paul gave many excellent reasons... limited use of powder and overall reduction of wasted glass is the main one. From a design point working with wafers/powder changed the way I approached designing with glass. I now work from components where I make up shelves of wafers with no particular project in mind. I have bins of these and when I finally decide to amke a project I pull components from the bins and play with compositions until something works. It has allowed me to become more spontaneous with my designs.

Watch out they are addictive and mind altering.

Cheers,

Bob
Suzan

Post by Suzan »

Hey Bob!

Why don't you write up an instruction booklet on making powder wafers with lots of photos. Something that you can email to people. I'm sure many of us on the board would be interested in purchasing it. Calgary is just too far for me to travel for a course (from Ottawa).

Cheers,
Suzan
Bob

Post by Bob »

Suzan,

Good idea, one of these days. Actually if you search the archives there is probably enough information on wafers ( and many other topics ) to self direct yourself through the technique.

Cheers,

Bob
Chip

Post by Chip »

Suzan wrote:Hey Bob!

Why don't you write up an instruction booklet on making powder wafers with lots of photos. Something that you can email to people. I'm sure many of us on the board would be interested in purchasing it. Calgary is just too far for me to travel for a course (from Ottawa).

Cheers,
Suzan
I second this! :D
Chip
Micah 6.8