Liability Insurance Required?

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Susan Moore

Liability Insurance Required?

Post by Susan Moore »

I have been asked to provide a certificate of insurance for liability for a show that I am doing. I don't have any....yet. Just wondering if most shows require this. I sent them a copy of my renter's insurance (ha!) and asked if that would suffice but I haven't heard back. It's just a small show in a small town so I'm hoping I don't need to fork over the dough for real insurance just yet. Maybe I should just get the pain over with though if I will just end up needing it again soon. Whatcha think?

Frugal Susan
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

I suspect that this policy won't do.

Generally shows that require you do show proof of insurance want proof of some kind of business liability insurance.

Available coverage and insurers vary from state to state. I pay about $330 annually for my policy. I was unable to acquire business insurance from my home owner's insurance provider here in the state of CA, but some providers do offer this.

Good luck!

Geri
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

it may be the landlord of the property where the show is taking place who wants the certificate of insurance.

if it's a small show in a small town, this may be an obstacle that vendors cannot overcome. the show's sponsors might have to change the location.

$330 in california sounds about right ... $500 gets you $1 million of coverage here in hawaii. for small vendors, that's more money than they'll make at the "small show in a small town."

you do the math.
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

I agree with Geri and Kitty, but wanted to add one thing.

I have my studio in my house, this is a real problem for the insurance people, atleast my old carrier anyway. When I went to them for business insurance, because I wanted the liability coverage, I only told them about the kilns. They dropped me. I found new covereage, but it's comercial insureance and we pay renter's insurance for our personal belongings. Something to be aware of.

Amy
Susan Moore

Post by Susan Moore »

Thanks for all your input. I have started shopping for insurance and in anticipation of future shows I think it will be wise to just pay up now and have the necessary coverage.

Cheers!

Susan