air brush paint

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

slats

air brush paint

Post by slats »

Just got an airbrush...What kind of paint do I need for firing on glass plates and where do I buy it?
Don Burt

Re: air brush paint

Post by Don Burt »

doctac wrote:Just got an airbrush...What kind of paint do I need for firing on glass plates and where do I buy it?
do you want your plates to be food safe?
do you want your plates to be dishwasher safe?
do you mind if lead and cadmium float in clouds around your head while spraying?
Are you familiar with paints for glass in general, applied with a brush?

It makes a difference in answering your question.
slats

paint

Post by slats »

Yes, I want to be able to eat on..........
No, I dont want anything that is 'dangerous' o spray...even though I would naturally take precautions.............
Doesn't have to be dishwasher safe.........
no, I am not familiar with any paint even with brush.....

Basically what I want to do is use a stencil of letters to paint onto dishes to personalize them..........
Thanks..
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

I don't know enough about cadmium-and-lead-free paints to answer. Someone else will know.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

You can use Unique Glass Paints in an airbrush. They're inexpensive, have lead-free food safe in 1 oz. liquid.
http://www.crestmolds.com
Bert Weiss

Re: air brush paint

Post by Bert Weiss »

doctac wrote:Just got an airbrush...What kind of paint do I need for firing on glass plates and where do I buy it?
Doc

Ferro sells several lines of china paints that fire in around 1380 - 1520 degrees F. Sunshine series contains lead and cadmium, but fired in properly the release levels will be under the safety wire. They also have lead and cadmium free colors. I am not at home right now so you will have to look in the archives for contact info. They have large palettes of mixable colors that look very good on glass and are compatible with every glass that we use, from float to spectrum, probably even Moretti.

When you buy from Ferro, you are buying directly from the manufacturer with no middle man markups. They changed corporate hands again last week. I don't expect that to change customer service.

Minimum order is $100 a Sample set for the Sunshine Series is $200 for 19 colors and flux (clear). I think the new lead free series is called Samba. I don't know the details on the sample set for that. You also need a water miscable medium. They make and sell those as well.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
slats

thanks

Post by slats »

Bert you are a gr8 guy..........always there when I need good advise. BTW, would love to take your sink-making class.........Are you out west at all?