art hangers that project?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Kim Bellis

art hangers that project?

Post by Kim Bellis »

Good morning everyone. I am looking for something that might not exsist. I have made 12 4"x4" tiles that I wish to mount on the wall. However, I want some to be flat against the wall and some to protrude out. I am having difficulty finding hardware that will work. Any ideas? Do you know any companies that sell this type of thing?

Thanks
Kim
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

Kim, do you have to mount all 12 tiles as a unit or are you willing to mount each tile singly
( much simpler)? Also, how far from the wall do you want the protruding tiles?

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Hi Tom: I am flexible as far as mounting singly or as a unit. I would like for them go from 1/8" up to 1". Perhaps more. I originally wanted to mount them singly. I thought perhaps something along the line of a piece of metal in the shape of "U" - something like they use for truss on roof's - spray paint matte black. Adhesive the art to each U at the open end - drill hole in the closed portion of the "U" with the screw already in the wall - then just hang. I have no experience with this...
Debinsandiego

Post by Debinsandiego »

Wood.

Are your tiles transparent, or opal?? I've hung a few pieces by using an epoxy to affix wood to the back of my "tile". Vary the thickness of the wood, depending on how far off the wall you want your piece, or how close to the wall. Depending on the look, I vary where and how much wood on the back. You can start by adhering the wood in a square, or just experiment from there what works.

Once you have the wood on there, you can use regular picture hanging hardware such as a small screw eye bolt and wire. Just watch your weight.
Deborah
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Deb:
Thanks, that is a good idea. The pieces are black opal with white opal pattern insert.