Slumping question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

jennk

Slumping question

Post by jennk »

I have been fusing and slumping for a while with some very good results, but there is one thing I'm wondering about. (Hope this doesn't sound too dumb!) Can you slump over cans, i.e. the ones that food comes in? or does it get too hot for them?
Jennifer in Omaha
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Slumping question

Post by Brad Walker »

jennk wrote:I have been fusing and slumping for a while with some very good results, but there is one thing I'm wondering about. (Hope this doesn't sound too dumb!) Can you slump over cans, i.e. the ones that food comes in? or does it get too hot for them?
Yes, you can slump over cans. (Not long ago, I wrote an article for the IGGA on slumping over bean cans.) You need to kiln wash them and they're only good for once or twice, but it works. Also, with some cans you need to use a small piece of fiber paper on top to get the glass from getting caught on the can. Finally, you want a can that's not aluminum -- anything a magnet will stick to will work fine.