Kiln pros and cons

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Robert Cohen

Kiln pros and cons

Post by Robert Cohen »

I am thinking about buying a larger kiln and I would like to know if anybody has had experience with either the Paragon GF series, the Skutt GM series or the Evenheat GTS series. Since these kilns seem expensive, I'm really interested in knowing if anyone has had problems with either the Company or the actual kiln they purchased.

Thanks for your help.

Bob
Brock

Post by Brock »

Bob I have the Skutt ClamShell, I think it's GM22CS. It's great, even got an old Luddite like me using a controller. Well worth it. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Avery Anderson

Post by Avery Anderson »

Ditto to what Brock said. I have 4 kilns in my studio, and the Skutt Clamshell is my favorite. The design is great for working directly on the shelf, the elements are easy to change should they need replacement, and the controller is one of the easiest I've ever used. It's a well built and well thought out kiln design.

Avery
Cher

Post by Cher »

Bob, I've had a Paragon gf-8 (? 16 octangular) for 6 or 7 years now and
it's a regular workhorse. Now it needs a new infinate controller, but
I'm getting it fit out with a computerized controller. But I really
wanted a bigger better deeper more power sucking kiln and so
ENTER Evenheat 3542-13.

Saw them in use at Hot Glass Horizons in Corning this past spring. Got mine a week and a half ago, got it installed, new electrical cable buried and all hooked up and fired three times now. The Rampmaster controller was probably the biggest selling point, researched them on the web, along with every kiln and every distributor. It was easy to learn and to program and i wouldnt want to live without it again!

Perfectly happy with the kiln and the company. They quickly answered
my e-mails before purchase. Ordered through Delphi and got quick and
comprehensive service from them too.
I also have an Evenheat hot box that I picked up "used" at HGH and that
gets a lot of use too. Hmmmmmm I wonder where all my glass stuff
went.....

YoDuh
>^..^<
Cher

Post by Cher »

ooooppps of course i meant an Evenheat 2541-13,
..Duh
>^..^<
Lionel

Post by Lionel »

I vote Paragon - One of my GL22 has been fired daily for four years with no problems.

Not knowing where your head is at - It may be worth investigating building your own and investing your money in your mind and materials (M&M).

The first one is always the killer - after that - each one gets easier.

For the cost of one GL - I can make two units with digital controler.

It's all out there - you just have to look for it. :wink:
Lionel Prevost
psg@lava.net
(808)262-7771
Susan Schroeder

Clamshell Question

Post by Susan Schroeder »

For those of you who have the Skutt Clamshell, which I will probably be buying sometime next year, do you have it sitting on the provided 8" stand only, or do you have it higher? If so, what do you have it sitting on? Having not seen one in person, I can't quite get the height thing worked out.

Susan
Brock

Re: Clamshell Question

Post by Brock »

Susan Schroeder wrote:For those of you who have the Skutt Clamshell, which I will probably be buying sometime next year, do you have it sitting on the provided 8" stand only, or do you have it higher? If so, what do you have it sitting on? Having not seen one in person, I can't quite get the height thing worked out.

Susan
I'm using it on the supplied stand, but I'm mainly slumping finished work.

Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Avery Anderson

Post by Avery Anderson »

I use it on the supplied stand also. I have a stool to sit on when I'm laying up intricate pieces....works out comfortably. My other kilns are deep and back breakers to lean over when loading.

Avery